Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: pet peeve rant - \'I put you all in\'

[ QUOTE ]
We all know they are saying "I am betting exactly the amount required to put you all-in", it's just a shorter way of saying it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-13-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well look at this situation
you (300)
villain 1 (100)
villain 2 (400)

You want to put villain 1 all-in, but you don't want to go all-in yourself. In this situation, I would say, "I put villain 1 all-in" meaning I will only put in 100, NOT my entire stack. I'm just saying that there are uses for the "I put you allin" line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can do this in a multiway pot. You need to bet a specific amount, not "however much the 3 seat has". It would be retarded to bet the short stack's amount if it would pot-commit you if the other big stack raises anyway and, if it wouldn't, you should be thinking more about the other big stack than about making sure you get every last chip from shorty.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:34 PM

heh, i am not.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:42 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
After the flop hits he announces 'Im all in'. Then he looks over at me says.. 'Whats he got.. about 2000?' and puts 2 1k chips in front of his cards. I turn to the dealer (I happen to be in seat 1) and say 'Is he all in or is he betting 2000?'. I continue to talk only to the dealer and say 'How many chips I have doesn't matter, he has to bet an amount.'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why ask this question and waste more time?

I love guys who hold up the game when it's obvious what the other guy is doing. You're HU, when he says all in, it's obvious the amount he bet. What part of him saying he's all in don't you understand as being an amount that he's betting?

b
Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 PM

The part where he placed 2 1000 chips in front of his cards and left all the rest of them behind the cards.

I'm not stupid, obviously I understand what he was doing. I don't think I ever implied I didn't. If anyone read the subject, this is a rant about a pet peeve I've mine. I think its [censored] move so I was an [censored] back. That is all. I really don't give a crap if it bothers anyone else.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:35 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
The part where he placed 2 1000 chips in front of his cards and left all the rest of them behind the cards.

I'm not stupid, obviously I understand what he was doing. I don't think I ever implied I didn't. If anyone read the subject, this is a rant about a pet peeve I've mine. I think its [censored] move so I was an [censored] back. That is all. I really don't give a crap if it bothers anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who ever said poker is a selfish and egotistical game???

b
Old 07-13-2005, 06:45 PM

I don't usually say this, but I'm sorry I read this thread. Who really cares what terminology they use? You know what they mean and you are just tilting yourself off and probably making an incorrect call or fold somewhere down the line as a result.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:29 PM

Thats ok, I'm sorry I posted it too. I was just venting, I didn't intend, or want, to start a discussion.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:32 PM

If I was the old guy when you asked me "Is it $2000 or is it all-in?" I would have said, "Well....I can't decide....maybe I should bet $3,793.57 instead. Would that make you happy?"

Putting the $2k in chips out there when he is all-in is MUCH easier.
If you win the hand then they just move the $2k in chips over to you and he doesn't have to unnecssarily have to push the rest of his chips forward just to pull them back again.

I've played in tournaments where the player who says "all-in" doesn't move a single chip forward. He's already declared he's all-in so he doesn't have to.
I've also been in tournaments where the big-stack starts to push his chips forward against an all-in and is told to NOT push the rest of his chips because he has obviously pushed enough to cover the other guy....so moving the rest of the chips forward, if awkward, isn't necessary.

Seriously.....asking the dealer "is it $2,000 or is it all-in?" is being a TOTAL douche.
I'm usually a nit about the rules btw.....but this is REALLY retarded since it's the same freaking thing.
I would be willing to bet that somewhere the rules actually do NOT require him to specifically state one or the other. You have $2k in chips...if he bets more than that and has you covered then that ends it. No clarification is necessary.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:02 PM

Reading this post may have lowered my IQ.