Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: \"Darkest\" Album Ever?...

Black Sabbath - Born Again

After Dio left, Sabbath brought in ex-Deep Purple singer Ian Gillan. "Born Again" is Sabbath's darkest and most brooding album.

(Interestingly enough, a couple of years later Sabbath put out their most radio friendly album, some would call it almost glam metal, "Seventh Star", filled with ballads and catchy choruses.)
Old 02-10-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know that 'trane album....I'm assuming it's a later period album? (Impulse release?)....who's on that?....

[/ QUOTE ]

yep it's on impulse. trane, pharaoh, rashied ali, alice coltrane and jimmy garrison. it's his last live recording, and the heaviest trane I've ever heard, so much so that I can't listen to it too often. it is extremely out but I think it is great. carlos santana said this recording sounds like trane was staring down death, and that's about the best description I can think of.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

So rare to find people that have heard "The Olatunji concert". Coltrane's playing there is absolutely amazing. Easily one of his best sessions. I don't care much for Sanders, however. He's exciting to listen to for like two or three minutes, then I get bored and my ears hurt. That's the main reason I don't listen to very often.

Coltrane is one of the very few artists that's actually made me cry. That's kind of special.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:51 PM

What the hell are half you people on, Alice in Chains, Metallica, The Cure and Nirvana are dark?

I would say the darkest album I have heard for the mixture of mournful dark lyrics layered with guitars and mournful electric violin work is My Dying Bride - Like Gods of the Sun.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell are half you people on, Alice in Chains, Metallica, The Cure and Nirvana are dark?

I would say the darkest album I have heard for the mixture of mournful dark lyrics layered with guitars and mournful electric violin work is My Dying Bride - Like Gods of the Sun.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get the feeling that they asked for someone semi-popular in the OP
Old 02-10-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Has to be the Beatles

[ QUOTE ]
glad someone gave the white album some love, my favorite song of all time is "while my guitar gently weeps." though i think the darkest albums IMO are Nine Inch Nails-Downward Spiral, Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon and Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti

[/ QUOTE ]

The Downward Spiral is actually more angry than dark.

Dark Side of the Moon could definitely qualify. There's some serious suffering running through the whole thing.

As for Physical Graffiti, no album with Down By The Seaside could ever really be called "dark."
Old 02-10-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In high school band, we played a piece that was meant to simulate the fire-bombings of Dresden. We made noises like bombs falling in the distance and even screamed at the top of our lungs at the moment the city is being attacked. Apparently the marching band arrangement calls for the band to march in a swastika. Not happy stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man, I also played this in high school. Great song. Very intense.

Bob
Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
glad someone gave the white album some love, my favorite song of all time is "while my guitar gently weeps." though i think the darkest albums IMO are Nine Inch Nails-Downward Spiral, Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon and Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti

[/ QUOTE ]

The Downward Spiral is actually more angry than dark.

Dark Side of the Moon could definitely qualify. There's some serious suffering running through the whole thing.

As for Physical Graffiti, no album with Down By The Seaside could ever really be called "dark."

[/ QUOTE ]

Physical Graffiti is more heavy than dark. It's still amazing though. The transition in the middle of "Down by the Seaside" is quite gloomy though.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:00 PM

De-Loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta... whole thing's about OD'ing on heroin...

I second The Wall.

Lateralus by Tool.

EDIT: All non-instrumental.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Physical Graffiti is more heavy than dark. It's still amazing though. The transition in the middle of "Down by the Seaside" is quite gloomy though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, but I think that "gloominess" is only there to justify the more hopeful resolution of the song as a whole.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lateralus by Tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think it's the opposite.

Reflection, for instance, is about hopefulness for the species as a whole, if only we can put aside our egos.

Ticks and Leeches is about anger, and letting those who bargain for ruin just get, well...ruined.

The Grudge is about letting go of pointless animosity.

Schism is about opening the avenues of communication.

Parabol/Parabola is about having some spiritual connection to the world.

The Patient is about, uh, ok--it's a little dark.

Lateralus is about pushing the limits of one's experience.

Triad is a freakin great instrumental.

I know I did them out of order, but I was just winging it.