Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 07:35 PM

Default QJs - victim of entrapment

CO is 14/8/2.7
Button is 21/9/1.5

I think I butchered this pretty bad, comments on any street welcome. I'm sure there is a fold somewhere in this hand, most likely should have folded the turn?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 11-27-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: QJs - victim of entrapment

On the turn, you almost have the odds to hit your full house or hit one of 3 remaining tens for a split vs a straight, plus you are ahead some percentage of the time (not much.) The river is good. I think you are usually looking at a flush here, but villain could just be acting stupid with 2 pair.

flop: good. betting is good. Calling the two bets individually is fine, but it makes you wish you would have check/folded the flop.

turn: good

river: good
Old 11-27-2005, 07:53 PM

what do you think of the CO's check/3 bet? i rarely see that without a set or better.

on second thought though, i think youre getting about the right price on the turn to draw to the boat. 8-1 on about a 10-1 shot
-light
Old 11-27-2005, 08:13 PM

It looks like CO flopped a straight, a set, or a monster draw.

The monster draw got there on the turn. Versus the more likely QT, you have 4.5 outs (1 queen and 2 jacks for a win and 3 tens for a chop) out of 44 remaining cards, and versus a set you have 7-8 outs (2 queens, 2 jacks, and 3-4 tens) out of 44 remaining cards. Versus a flush you aren't doing so well, and you could even be drawing dead versus a straight flush. There's also some (small) chance you're ahead, though. All things considered, the turn call seems fine to me. (For what it's worth, though, Button's initial interest in the flop does increase the chances that one of the jacks you're hoping to catch may have been folded on the turn. I'm thinking Button might have had AJ.)

I'd have trouble folding the river, but that could be the place to do it. I'm thinking people don't generally call/3-bet the flop with just two pair, especially on a flop this coordinated.

On the flop, I kind of want to 3-bet, but I am beginning to learn that my equity is not as good in spots like this as I used to enjoy in similar situations at, say, 2/4.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:10 PM

I'm either three betting the flop or CRing it. Not doing that IMO is a mistake. The rest looks okay
Old 11-27-2005, 10:57 PM

Fold preflop.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:05 PM

What are everyones thoughts on checking this flop to see the action and what the turn brings? That board is extremely draw heavy and would hit a ton of limping hands. You could be behind now and if not there are about 25 cards you don't want to see. (9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s, 3 Tens, 2 Nines, 3 Eights, 2 Queen, 3 Kings, 3 Aces. I think I counted those right but I could be off). I'd check the flop with calling/folding/raising all being an option depending on the action.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm either three betting the flop or CRing it. Not doing that IMO is a mistake. The rest looks okay

[/ QUOTE ]

3 betting is just spewing. You hand isn't very strong and a ton of cards can kill it on the turn if you are ahead. Why invest 3/4 sbs on the flop when you have a very good chance of having to check/fold the turn?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:16 PM

I don't agree with folding preflop, first change is CR, fold after the turn, raise turn
Old 11-27-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are everyones thoughts on checking this flop to see the action and what the turn brings? That board is extremely draw heavy and would hit a ton of limping hands. You could be behind now and if not there are about 25 cards you don't want to see. (9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s, 3 Tens, 2 Nines, 3 Eights, 2 Queen, 3 Kings, 3 Aces. I think I counted those right but I could be off). I'd check the flop with calling/folding/raising all being an option depending on the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't 3-bet or C/R the flop for those reasons you mention, but I think you have to at least bet it.