Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Leadership

[ QUOTE ]
Care to reconsider?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesse Jackson has never missed an opportunity to get his face on television in his adult life. I don't fault him for that, it's a great skill - he's good at it. I also don't think for a second that he's there to add his muscle to the effort -- they are currently busing strong men out of the area, so there's no lack of brawn. Jesse is there to get face time. Now the question is, what will he say? Will he be a leader?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:37 PM

Obviously they think its wrong, but they need to condemn it publically to let all the people who have negative attitudes towards black people hear it. I'm suprised Cosby hasn't publically condmned this.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:39 PM

I dissagree, many blacks like people like Jessie Jackson who is always on TV talking about blacks. However I dont think he's helping them, but many blacks do. I real black leaders like Bill Cosby keeps getting shut down.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesse Jackson has never missed an opportunity to get his face on television in his adult life. I don't fault him for that, it's a great skill - he's good at it. I also don't think for a second that he's there to add his muscle to the effort -- they are currently busing strong men out of the area, so there's no lack of brawn. Jesse is there to get face time. Now the question is, what will he say? Will he be a leader?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheetwise before, in his OP: "Black leaders are at fault for their inactivity! Jesse Jackson, where are you?!? We need black leaders to stand up, at the very least, for PR purposes."

Sheetwise now: "Black leaders' activities in the recovery merely belie a hidden agenda to receive good publicity. It's all about face time. Jesse Jackson is only 'there' for good PR."

Nevermind the fact that, you demanded black leaders get active for PR purposes!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course the black leaders think its wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's obvious to everyone involved that black leaders think looting is wrong, why do they need to come out and condemn looting?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously they think its wrong, but they need to condemn it publically to let all the people who have negative attitudes towards black people hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In which case, the only people who should be demanding that black leaders condemn looting ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEGATIVE ATTITUDES ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE - since they're the only ones who have questions as to where black leaders might stand on the matter.

Hence why I'm a tad 'suspicious' of Sheetwise, to say the least.

This is just elementary logic, but I'm glad you recognized it Fishhooks.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 PM

Maybe I should use better words. They dont NEED to but it would benefit them and the way some people view the black population, like a PR move, like someone previously said.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They dont NEED to but it would benefit them and the way some people view the black population, like a PR move, like someone previously said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that, when black leaders like Jesse Jackson go down to help - people like Sheetwise accuse them of only being interested in PR!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And everyone condemns looting - and as I said, it's highly suspect to demand black leaders (especially) condemn looting; because the implication in the demand is that they don't - or at the very least, that they might not.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a small group of people (black leaders) owe their recognition to constantly dividing social reponsibilities, circumstances, and conditions along racial lines -- they should be the first to recognize the perception of racial behavior. In the quote sent earlier, Jesse Jackson did recognize it. He chose to frame it as media perception, and made no comment -- racial or otherwise -- about the behavior.

I'm sure he condemns looting.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Well PR is very tricky which is why people spend 4 years in college majoring in this. When Jessie Jackson is just out there to talk about racism and to get the blacks all rallied up against eveyone that is very bad. He is usually only in the news when negative things happen to blacks, not when blacks behave negativly. However this PR move would couldn't really hurt anyone, but it's also not necessary.
Closed Thread