Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Supply and/or Demand?

[ QUOTE ]
You can argue that its "unfair" but there is no adverse long-term consequence of putting a very short-term price ceiling on the hotel industry in a small geographic area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's where I think a lot of tinkers make a mistake. I've had several businesses I gave up on or sold because the government meddled. It has nothing to do with how much money it is. When the gov't began telling me what I could and could not do -- I had to seriously ask myself if I wanted to invest more of my money and time into a business they controlled. The problem with regulators is that you never know where they're going to stop.

When they finally said it was illegal to smoke in a bar -- even if you own the bar -- even if there were warnings posted outside -- you know they can do anything.

"adverse long-term consequence" can come in many forms.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's where I think a lot of tinkers make a mistake. I've had several businesses I gave up on or sold because the government meddled. It has nothing to do with how much money it is. When the gov't began telling me what I could and could not do -- I had to seriously ask myself if I wanted to invest more of my money and time into a business they controlled. The problem with regulators is that you never know where they're going to stop.

When they finally said it was illegal to smoke in a bar -- even if you own the bar -- even if there were warnings posted outside -- you know they can do anything.

"adverse long-term consequence" can come in many forms.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sympathize but believe in this instance that the argument is purely hypothetical and that you are unlikely to find any empirical support for these short-term controls having an adverse long-term effect.

I agree with you 100% about the smoking regulations.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Nobody is going to not build a hotel because of a single, isolated price cap for a few days. But they will re-think their plans if there is an environment of oppresive governmental meddling (and look for somewhere less oppressive), and price caps are a strong indication of such an environment.