Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 07-16-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Islams role in a peaceful society

[ QUOTE ]
And if you search for mosques on the internet, that on their purpose list is to provide aid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not real interested in their mission statement. Osamas mission is world peace. Prefer to look at what they do.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:31 PM

Generally true of Islamic governments. However, the governments and Mosques are not coupled in countries like Saudi where they are often at odds. Note that Bin Ladin wanted to bring his Afghan trained army to Saudi to protect the Arab lands from Saddam (who is despised by OBL), Saudi chose to go with USA armies much to the horror of the devout OBL, one of many ways that our support of Saudi contributes to 9/11 and terrorism.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:38 PM

Nothing I have read actually leads me to believe that pre-WWII Germans were bad people, in general. I think most were peace loving people. But ... they had read Mein Kamp, and had a pretty good idea what their leadership was thinking. When the war broke out, most fell into line and were loyal Germans.

This is what scares me about Islam. They know what is being taught -- they know what is in their scriptures -- and they don't renounce it. When they do, it is half-hearted. I believe that in the event they were called, many would find the calling has no conflict with their religious upbringing and consciense.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:39 PM

explain India.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And if you search for mosques on the internet, that on their purpose list is to provide aid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not real interested in their mission statement. Osamas mission is world peace. Prefer to look at what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least there is huge money transfers going on so there must be some substance.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing I have read actually leads me to believe that pre-WWII Germans were bad people, in general. I think most were peace loving people. But ... they had read Mein Kamp, and had a pretty good idea what their leadership was thinking. When the war broke out, most fell into line and were loyal Germans.

This is what scares me about Islam. They know what is being taught -- they know what is in their scriptures -- and they don't renounce it. When they do, it is half-hearted. I believe that in the event they were called, many would find the calling has no conflict with their religious upbringing and consciense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this part is scary. It give to much power to the leaders which can be abused. But remember that i.e. the American military is built up by the same principle. Do what you are told, it serves a bigger cause.

When a kurd leader friendly to the US makes a trade-off with US leaders agreeing that some off his political opponents will be attacked, does the pilot who fires the missile question the morality of the attack? (this happened)
Old 07-16-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does the pilot who fires the missile question the morality of the attack?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes they do. They can also refuse an order and not be executed for it along with their entire family.

In addition, in the US, these kinds of things are discussed and debated all the time by everyone. There are repercussions to abuse of power. This is not the case in a totalitarian state. It is reasonable for an American pilot who does have some concern with a particular order to assume that quite a bit of discussion has already taken place concerning his mission, particularly if it is a sensitive one. This assumption may not be possible for soldiers of other armies.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:42 AM

one thing you can't knock islam on is the way they treat the elderly. in predominantly muslim countries, adults take care of their aging parents, regardless. there are fewer nursing homes because it is considered disgraceful to put ones parents in a home. countries like syria, jordan, lebanon, iran all have as many hospitals as one could expect from there per capita gnp's. you think that predominantly christian african countires have better facilities?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:35 PM

in48092 -

My point was there role in our society. I can't think of any other religion that doesn't build and support facilities that are for the good of the secular community. I see mosques being built, but nothing for the community. Noting that, I would propose they are not and do not wish to assimilate.

[ QUOTE ]
countries like syria, jordan, lebanon, iran all have as many hospitals as one could expect from there per capita gnp's

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if an American would be admitted. How about a Jew? If they build facilities that require you pass a religious test to utilize, that's no different than building another mosque.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:59 PM

Sensing some prejudice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. In general moslems feel responsibility for the society, Sheetwise. You don't have to pass any religious tests. Most non-moslem travelers to moslem countries comes back and speaks about their incredible friendliness towards their guests. Tehran and Damaskus, both in the Axis of evil, are held as some of the most friendly cities to visit globally. Most mosques are also open to non-believers.