Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Guitar advice (just starting)

Hey guys,

I'm looking for advice on getting started with a guitar and amp. I have been playing (just hacking around) with my Dad and he's a very experienced player, he suggested I should buy a guitar and starter amp of my own and start learning.

I know myself well enough to know that if the thing doesn't sound good to me, I'll loose interest. So while I'm looking for "starter" level everything, I also would benefit from it sounding appealing to me.

My favorite guitar sound (and style) is the David Gilmour Pink Floyd style stuff. I know they have a lot of equipment and I don't expect miracles, but it'd be nice if the sound was closer to that than say, a metal guitar or acoustic sound. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I hope my lack of experience isn't showing through too much here, hehe.

Help appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Guitar advice (just starting)

If you can't live with a crappy sound from a beginner guitar you're better off learning another instrument.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Oh yeah, and...

and I would advise not to buy squier gear. Squier REALLY sucks.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:51 PM

don't worry too much about the instrument, you just need to get a guitar that will stay in tune. a low end fender or yamaha should do the trick. most of the sound you get out of the instrument comes from your hands, the way you hold the pick, etc.

<unsolicited music advice>

the most important thing you can develop as a musician is your ear. learn to hear melodies and pick them out on your guitar. david gilmour solos are great for this because they're so melodic, and easy to hear and approximate. even when you're first starting out, try and use your ear all the time and pick out what you're hearing on your instrument. start out with happy birthday or mary had a little lamb.

</unsolicited music advice>

--turnipmonster
Old 07-30-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite guitar sound (and style) is the David Gilmour Pink Floyd style stuff. I know they have a lot of equipment and I don't expect miracles, but it'd be nice if the sound was closer to that

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you could buy a John Suhr strat ($3k), Mesa Boogie Mark IV ($2k), and throw in a TC Electronic G-force ($2k), and you will have great tone, but you will still sound like [censored].

Basically, there's no way around it; you have to put in the time- it's not the gear, it's the player. Just get a package deal (yamaha,fender,washburn) and get started. In my opinion, the Yamaha (package) has the better playing guitar.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, there's no way around it; you have to put in the time- it's not the gear, it's the player. Just get a package deal (yamaha,fender,washburn) and get started. In my opinion, the Yamaha (package) has the better playing guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite guitar action-wise is still my Yamaha Pacifica from the mid-90's. Doesn't sound very great, but I never got over learning on that thing. Loved it.

NT
Old 07-30-2005, 03:31 AM

Buy a cheap ass $100-$200 guitar and a cheap ass amp and maybe a disortion pedal.

Judging by your post, you seem like you're already looking for a reason to quit the hobby, so don't bother spending much.

Have fun.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:33 AM

I don't understand why some get off on being so discouraging and (I think) cruel to others. Thanks for the advice to those who offered it with kind intentions. I think I'll head up tomorrow and get a Yamaha starter package.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-30-2005, 03:42 AM

Good luck Adam.

Actually I Think the best advice is for you to try out all the guitars <200$ and see what you like best. See how you like the action, neck, etc. Still don't buy a squier though.

PS you will sound like [censored] at first. There's no way to get around it except practice. At least you'll get better by leaps and bounds in the beginning.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:01 AM

Yeah, I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. You have a long road ahead of you, and a basic guitar (decent action, plays in tune) will suit you well. I have a friend, who owns a music store, so as far as the package deals go, I'd recommend the Yamaha (I've played many of the other starter kits).

You could also bring your dad, (or someone else that plays), to try out a couple of low-line guitars and choose the best guitar for you, and buy an Ibanez amp (with effects; Tone Blaster, I think) for less than $300 total ($200 for the guitar, $100 for the amp).

Good luck, and let us know what you bought.