Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Why does everyone keep calling me?

I've had a very frustrating few days this week and lost about $1000. Here's a major problem I keep running into:

Everyone calls my pre-flop raises.

Here's what I raise on: Pocket pairs, suited connectors, and any 2 split cards 10 and above (10 J, J A, etc).

I don't bluff with preflop raises, at all. Yet everyone calls me without a second thought. This rarely occurs when any other player raises. When another player raises, they'll average 2-3 callers on a full table, but when I raise, I average about 5.

I raise the same general amount that everyone else does pre-flop. Granted, when I raise, I like having at least a few callers to get some value out of my cards, but with 5 callers per raise, alot of people see the flop against me with complete and utter crap...and they hit.

It's just really frustrating to have a guy with 7-5 offsuit call my $10 raise in a $1-$2 NL game, and then hit two pair or an open ended straight on the flop just to suck me out further down.

Am I doing something wrong?

Should I tighten my starting requirements for a raising hand?

Loosen them?

Why does everyone call me?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Why does everyone keep calling me?

If you raise with TJ or any 2 cards T or higher (like QT) I can see why they call. I would too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
What's your PFR%?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:47 AM

PFR%? Don't know what that is.

Also, I thought raising with any two cards 10 or up was value betting, to prevent limpers?

These are beginner forums so help me out a little =/
Old 09-29-2005, 07:10 AM

Sorry if I came off wrong there. You're right, this is the beginners forum.
I'm a beginner too but I'll help as much as I can. Someone correct me where I'm wrong.

You need to tighten up. From EP (Early position) I only raise with premium hands such as AA-99, AKs-AJs, AK and AQ.
From MP I loosen up a little. From LP You can raise with hands such as A8s or ATo if there is no raise in front of you of course.

When someone else raises in front of you, you need to tighten up a lot.

Now, if I saw someone raising with 89s I'd sure as hell cold call that bet with hands such as AJo or even QJo. And if the flop comes TQ2 I'm gonna raise your bet.

Also don't raise with ANY pocket pair. AA-99 are good since they can win unimproved. They don't have to make a set to stand a chance. 44 won't win many hands unimproved though, hence you want to see the flop as cheap as possible. If you miss your set and have no straight draws, fold those 44's.

PFR% = preflop raise %, how many times you raise preflop. Your % has to be really high? I have a PFR% of about 6% which is a little low, but I'm working on it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hope that helps
Old 09-29-2005, 07:15 AM

Thank you for the advice.

Yeah, my PFR % is probably around 20%-25%. I guess you're right, that does seem a little high.

I'll adjust my play and tighten up a bit, thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:06 AM

It appears you're playing no-limit hold'em, right? Pick up a copy of Ed Miller's Getting Started In Hold'em and study the no-limit section. It's basic and short, but it'll give you some guidelines to follow.

I agree with the advice you've gotten. You were very loose, and I guarantee people out there have been tracking your play with Poker Tracker, so they knew you were looose.

Good luck,

T
Old 09-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Where did you get the any two split cards 10 or above advice from? That is horrible, I would be very skeptical of any other 'advice' they gave me. Most poker books have starting hand charts.

Head to Barnes and Noble and read the first couple of pages of a few books (look for 2+2, Miller, Jones) and see whose writing style you understand the best. eventually you will probably buy more books, but start with something that you find easy to read.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:28 AM

Keep in mind that you seem to be seeing two different things here - one good, one bad.

The good is that guys with 75o are calling your raises - while they will occasionally hit their cards and suck out on you, there is no question that calling a raise with 75o is a -EV play - and over the long term, you will take money from them.

The bad is what others have pointed out - because you are raising with less-than-premium hands, people have, correctly, loosened up their calling requirements against you. This can work in your favor when you actually do have a premium hand (assuming that you raise the same with AA as you do with JT - which is pretty crucial if you are playing loose, as you seem to be), but for the most part, it will work against you.

So you definitely need to tighten up your starting hand requirements - and particularly your starting raise requirements.

My only word of caution is that you do not do a complete 180 and turn into a rock. I am curious how you use position to determine when to bet, since you did not mention it in your post. It is one thing to raise with JTo UTG, quite another to raise with that when you are on the button and you sense weakness.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Buy Getting Started in Hold'Em and follow the Starting Hands Chart. It will give you a line of which hands you should play in each position.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the advice.

Yeah, my PFR % is probably around 20%-25%. I guess you're right, that does seem a little high.

I'll adjust my play and tighten up a bit, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your PFR % is higher than many people even consider optimal playing standards. At weak party tables I will often play 22% of hands, but I am ususally only raising with solid values. I ususally play closer to 15-18%. Solid values are AA-99, AK, and ususally AQ. I usually throw in KQs and some other hands in later postion too. What sources have you been reading to end up with this style? Super System would be my guess. If you raise 89s (and similar hands) from any position every time you get it, you are probably making a huge mistake. This hand is trash and should usually be folded preflop. Pick up a copy of Getting Started in Holdem. I think you will learn a lot. The advice in Super System is solid, but you must understand when and how to use it depending on the game conditions. Good luck.