Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Pwned by Freddie Deeb, WPT Bellagio ME

[ QUOTE ]

my dude,

this isn't a party super tournament where everyone has 75 bb and you get about 2.5 orbits per level. this is a tournament in which the stacks are 300 bb each and there is a shitload of money on the line. if you are willing to go broke with one measly pair in this situation, i wish you the best of luck.

johnny

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but there's a difference between committing your stack and betting like 1/10 of it here with an overpair and a gutshot.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:19 AM

Noah,

Here is what will happen...maybe not 99%, but definitely most of the time you bet 2500 with one pair (no matter what pair that is) on this board given Deeb's PF range:

Freddie Deeb calls, or makes it 3x your bet.

Now what?

If you call his CR, how comfortable do you feel on 25-ish turn cards when he either bets 10K of his 22K or pushes into a 15K pot?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against a guy like Deeb I would pick my strong hands and play them very decisively.

[/ QUOTE ]

a pair of kings is not a strong hand. thinking like this is what makes freddy deeb a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

my dude,

this isn't a party super tournament where everyone has 75 bb and you get about 2.5 orbits per level. this is a tournament in which the stacks are 300 bb each and there is a shitload of money on the line. if you are willing to go broke with one measly pair in this situation, i wish you the best of luck.

johnny

[/ QUOTE ]

Decisive doesn't mean blindly pushing in your whole stack, "dude."
Old 12-13-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, but there's a difference between committing your stack and betting like 1/10 of it here with an overpair and a gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you doing if you bet the flop and he raises?

Any time you make a bet in the flop, you have to take in account all the possible action generated by such bet, especially with stacks this deep.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:26 AM

I like your play on every street of both hands and agree with the reasons you gave. I think calling a min-raise with small suited connectors, position (edit), and stacks that deep is a no brainer. I'm really interested to see the decisions you made on these hands.

Hand 1:

The only thing I might do differently is raise the turn. It's a good way to find out if he's just messing around, and lets you protect against the 4th heart. He'll probably fold a decent amount here. If he raises, you fold. If he calls, you may still have the best hand and you've probably just earned a free showdown on the river.

As played, I don't think the river is an obvious fold, only because I'd probably play Deeb's hand in the same manner even if I didn't have any cards. He could have a big heart but he could absolutely have air here. Still, I probably sigh, fold, and hate myself for it because I'm far from convinced.

Hand 2: He turned a set of Queens? Well, maybe he did and maybe he didn't, but I like everything you did here and I think you're ahead. If I knew he had a set, I'd raise, but my default here is to call him down. Protecting your hand does have some value, but I don't know that it's enough to offset the times when you push ~30k in chips in and get busted. Also, you'd take away his chance to bluff the river with the worst hand.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your play on every street of both hands and agree with the reasons you gave. I think calling a min-raise with small suited connectors and stacks that deep is a no brainer. I'm really interested to see the decisions you made on these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he didn't have a suited connector.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But he didn't have a suited connector.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can debate semantics all day, but calling a min-raise in position, with stacks that deep, is almost always worth it. 32 would look pretty sexy to me in this spot.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Decisive doesn't mean blindly pushing in your whole stack, "dude."

[/ QUOTE ]

what does it mean then? betting at it hard and becoming pot committed when he shoves his set, or flush, or straight flush draw at you?

ps. part of the value of position, is that you don't have to play every hand decisively
Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you doing if you bet the flop and he raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much does he raise?

Depends on context. Maybe I muck and say, "that's what I get for trying a bluff on Freddie." Or, maybe I call and blind check the turn to see what he does. Or, maybe I call and lead out again calmly.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:46 AM

I'm all jacked up. I didn't realize Freddie is in the SB. Let me rethink this. Sorry about that.