Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: I was wrong, you were right, but that\'s why i joined 2+2, 80K hand

"Isn't that what I just said?"

yes but when you said i was "hung up" about the long term, i wanted you to understand that i wasnt at all. ive just come to terms with it, rather than the permanent state of denial about it most posters are in.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:13 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Guys, it\'s not about the money or the 9K swing, thats not it at al

[ QUOTE ]
I guess i'm saying I dont have an edge playing 30 online but if I do in a tourist and home game occasional player rich 30-60 in LV, I might as well play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what?

His contention is how you clocked the game you played in in vegas. So far your justification is flawed, which he pointed out.

You realize many don't need that much time to figure out if we're in a good beatable game? We certainly don't base it on our win-loss record at the place.

b
Old 11-01-2005, 05:07 AM

Default Re: I was wrong, you were right, but that\'s why i joined 2+2, 80K hand

[ QUOTE ]
see? all that matters is this: the long term is so long to worry about it is silly. playing your best (and that includes game selection) each hour of each session is all that ever matters. but how much you beat a game for in 50k hands doesnt mean much of anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawrence
Old 11-01-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess i'm saying I dont have an edge playing 30 online but if I do in a tourist and home game occasional player rich 30-60 in LV, I might as well play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what?

His contention is how you clocked the game you played in in vegas. So far your justification is flawed, which he pointed out.

You realize many don't need that much time to figure out if we're in a good beatable game? We certainly don't base it on our win-loss record at the place.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are both muddling and making the same important point. If you have an understanding of game conditions at, or around your stakes, you can and will make this decision without mathematical proof that you are a winner. If you are wrong you a losing player, but you don't have any other tools to work with.

And the 30/60 Bellagio game is about 5/10 Party in toughness. (If you have live play skills to complement the skills involved in online poker).
Old 11-01-2005, 08:11 AM

Tx, it's good that you've realized that there's flaws in your game and that you're willing to drop down. Continuing to be stubborn about your play style is the demise of a lot of people. It's also what keeps our fish pools juicy.

To people who have been replying in condescending manners:
I understand that his first few posts were arrogant and blatantly incorrect at times, but he's admitted that he realizes there's something wrong with his game. This is a good step to becoming a good poker player. A lot of people start off this way. There are a lot of players who think they're good just because they whomp on their friends at $5 tourneys. The ones who are willing to read and learn actually become good, whereas the rest just live in their own little world where they're the gods of poker. I was like this before, though, I was playing 2/4 at the time, not 30/60. I'm pretty surprised that Tx stayed around after all the initial bashing. To me, that says that even if he's misunderstanding certain concepts now, he's willing to put in the effort to learn.

[ QUOTE ]
If you have an understanding of game conditions at, or around your stakes, you can and will make this decision without mathematical proof that you are a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little OT, but I've always had trouble agreeing with this statement. A large percentage of players believe they're winning players, and that they have a good understanding of the game. Yet, only something like 5-10% can beat the rake. Let's take a solid 2+2er and a WSOP wannabe fish. In both of their minds, they are winning players and understand the game. One of them is not though, but it's not that easy to tell for the person himself. Ok, maybe this is a little too extreme. What about an intermediate player instead? He reads the books, learns some from the forums; it's still the same situation. It's not so easy to look at your own game and "know" that you're a winning player. It's easy for a lot of you guys, but that's because you have the experience and results to show for it.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:15 PM

based on the hours i've played the 30 in vegas and the hours i've played online (the basis for an edge live vs. the non edge online).
Old 11-01-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are both muddling and making the same important point. If you have an understanding of game conditions at, or around your stakes, you can and will make this decision without mathematical proof that you are a winner. If you are wrong you a losing player, but you don't have any other tools to work with.

And the 30/60 Bellagio game is about 5/10 Party in toughness. (If you have live play skills to complement the skills involved in online poker).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen 5-10 that was tougher OL than 30 @ bellagio, but I also sat in a game with four grinders that I couldnt beat unless I got hit in the head w/ the deck.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
based on the hours i've played the 30 in vegas and the hours i've played online (the basis for an edge live vs. the non edge online).

[/ QUOTE ]

you thought you were a winner after 10k hands at party. what fraction of those 10k hands have you played live?

Barron
Old 11-01-2005, 12:44 PM

well, there's two things to consider here. one, i dont get out to vegas that often...probably wont be back until new years. and secondly, if the game is right, i dont have a problem playing 100-200. and by right i mean optimal conditions where i have an edge. If i don't, i get up and leave. I've done that in vegas twice. I didnt think i had an edge after several hours of play, so i quit.

However, I dont think my game selection online is as good as it is live. I dont have stats on players, just notes, and my tilt factor is higher online. All of this adds up to me not being able to play 30 online anymore, because I have no edge. But if my friends from high school called me and said lets play a private table of 30-60 online, i'd join in a heartbeat because i have an edge. That's my point, in a nutshell. If i think i have an edge, i'll play, but I know that on a day to day basis, i have zero edge in the party 30 games....
Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 PM

You realize, of course, that this is exactly why you need to get tracking software. To the online community, to say that you have better reads live is ludicrius (sp?). How can you really know if you are facing a 19/12 or a 25/16? Also, I think it is easier to overestimate your edge online. Putting a human face on your competition devalues them. A faceless machine is more intimidating. However, I also believe that live 30-60 is softer than some online 5-10 games.