Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Any books that cover 5 card draw?

Or any good sites\posts that I can look at?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Any books that cover 5 card draw?

Mike caroīs draw poker section in super system was easily the most ENTERTAINING piece Iīve read on poker. I actually laughed out loud. He seems to know what heīs talking about too but i read it a long time ago without any real knowledge of the game myself so canīīt say whether itīll bring home the benjamins.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:54 PM

TOP has some draw poker examples.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM

Winning Concepts in Draw and Lowball by Mason Malmuth perhaps?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:51 PM

Here's a good thread from the Other Poker forum (most draw content on 2_2 is there) that ended up covering draw books, online sites, online articles, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/cd4ps

Enjoy!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or any good sites\posts that I can look at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite not being played commonly any more, there are *lots* of books with good draw information.

Mason's book has probably the best information on the game between two covers. Warning, though, this is a tough book to read. I'm sure it would be a candidate for a rewrite if there were much of a market for it any more.

As another poster said, Caro's draw information from SS1 is quite good.

I like what Zadeh has to say about draw in his "Winning Poker Systems" (Out of print, but not hard to find. New copies still exist on the shelves of the Gambler's General Store in LV and probably at the Gambler's Book Club.)

It doesn't make a good primary text, but if you're serious about draw you'll really want to track down Fox's "Play Poker, Quit Work, and Sleep 'Til Noon." Again, it's available used or at the above two sources.

The best book on poker and game theory, a topic often discussed in this forum, focuses on draw: "Poker Strategy: Winning With Game Theory" by Ankeny. This is math-heavy and, again, probably not a good choice for a primary choice.

There are bunches of others that are pretty good. Besides this, since draw has only two betting rounds, it's not that complex. Consequently, studying these or other quality sources should give a player a leg up in this game in short order.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:07 AM

5 Card Draw for Advanced Players will be coming out in the fall. Should be great.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:17 PM

Get stuff from Mike Caro. He's probably the best 5 card draw player ever. He has a section in SS (it's very, very technical) and I think he has content in some other books as well. There are a ton of stats about from which position to open, etc. It may be outdated if you're playing on paradise or pokerroom.com though since those sites have blinds rather than antes so you might need to make some adjustment. I'm not aware of any other sites with active 5 card draw tables online. If you're playing a home game, reading Caro will help you kill it. Much of Caro's work on tells developed because you don't have betting patterns to pay attention to in 5 card draw so you need another source of information upon which to base your decisions.