Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Taking NPA advice too far?

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, SB folds.

River: (14 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16 BB, between CO and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (16 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Jd Qc (straight, king high).
CO shows Ks Th (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: UTG wins 16 BB. </font>

So after reading all this "why you aren't crushing..." business I'm feeling pretty guilty about how soft I've been playing. Is this a bad raise on the flop? On the flop my thinking was something along the lines of "well I'm not ahead right now, but the pot is big and if I raise I'll give myself a better chance of winning it." By the turn I'm thinking I can look for a Jack at 12-1. Don't tell me raising is a good idea here too!
Old 06-17-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Taking NPA advice too far?

You're raising on a gutshot straight draw? You have 4 clean outs on the jacks, and possibly 3 outs on the aces although I doubt hitting an ace will win you this hand. So you have 4 outs, and you're raising. If you decide to chase this draw because of the pot size, you want to keep as many people in as possible and pay as little as you can to see the next card. A call here I can understand, but not a raise.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:40 AM

Hey Tom.

This is a bad raise on the flop. You raised before the flop. UTG doesn't care and bets into you. He's almost certainly ahead of you here. Of course, the pot is big enough to call and hope to hit your Jack.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:42 AM

I think this flop raise is OK. It will often buy you position, get you a possible free look at the river, and may help clean up your Ace outs.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:42 AM

Yeah it looks like the raise is not so great here. I've got this guy on my shoulder lately and every time my mouse goes near the call button he says "hey, why don't you raise instead."
Old 06-17-2004, 09:46 AM

OK... you raised preflop showing strength... on the flop, someone bets into you. Looking at the flop, there is no flush draw. That leaves 3 possible hands that UTG could have... Straight with QJ, two pair with KT, K9, or T9, or something else that he is bluffing with. Normally, a King would just check and call you down, and any other hand would check and call or fold.

So, if you think he's bluffing, the raise is fine as long as you plan on folding to a three bet.

However, the best play here is to call as you have a gutshot nut straight. If he bets again and you don't improve...fold. Don't hold onto hands just because you raised preflop. And don't raise into a bet in a situation like this unless you think you can win it right there...
Old 06-17-2004, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, if you think he's bluffing, the raise is fine as long as you plan on folding to a three bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even I know that folding to a 3-bet would be awful with my nut draw.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Ok guys...

...here's a quick concept it seems many of you do not really understand:

It is a lot harder to get a field of players to fold for two cold when the board contains THREE HIGH CARDS. These boards give everyone under the sun a pair or a straight draw. When you raise, you should expect still to see the turn four-handed or so.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Ok guys...

[ QUOTE ]
...here's a quick concept it seems many of you do not really understand:

It is a lot harder to get a field of players to fold for two cold when the board contains THREE HIGH CARDS. These boards give everyone under the sun a pair or a straight draw. When you raise, you should expect still to see the turn four-handed or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying a call is better in this spot (on the flop)?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this flop raise is OK. It will often buy you position, get you a possible free look at the river, and may help clean up your Ace outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, why is no one talking about position or the Ace?