Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 02:00 AM

Default How many people do YOU like to have in the pot before you call with Ax

I'm thinking 4 or so, what about you?

Apparently I ran out of subject line space, that should read Axs, not to be confused with Axo.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:29 AM

Default Re: How many people do YOU like to have in the pot before you call wit

5+ or HE with a blind/EP. With limpers I probably fold it if I don't hit flush draw, even if Axx on the flop, without 2 pair i'm probably only seeing it through to the turn depending on how the table plays / pot size.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:40 AM

Default *sigh*

Eh.. no message...
Old 06-11-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Re: How many people do YOU like to have in the pot before you call with Ax

I'll play A8s+ in any loose/passive game, from most positions. If it's particularly loose, I'll go in with worse. It's an easy fold if the flop misses me, and generally on Party there seem to be enough people that play any ace to make A8+ profitable with a pair of aces (I just split with A3 last night!), and there's always the chance of a flush or 2 pair too. But, if there's an ace, I'll call down against most players, I'm not going to play an ace with an 8 kicker very agressively at all, and I will fold it to a good, tight player.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Re: How many people do YOU like to have in the pot before you call with Ax

How would you play it if you had Ax in the big blind and flopped an ace? If you're not someone who'll push hard with top pair(aces)/weak kicker until you're given a very good reason to stop, you're only getting the flush potential and have to de-value this sort of hand quite a lot.

Play the hands you're comfortable with. If A9s the lowest kicker you'd consider sufficient to push a flopped pair of aces, cut it off there, because otherwise you're going to find yourself in a situation where you need to drop if you don't flop a flush or 4 flush, or 2 pair or better (maybe pair and 3 flush if you're feeling adventurous).

It's the combination of ace and flush potential that give these hands so much value. One of those 'sum of the parts' type things. Take away either, and your strategy has to change. Hence your comment correcting the subject line. It's the same sort of thing when you remove the ace part of the equation.

As in every decision, you need to take the number of opponents, quality of opponents, and pot size into account... but I'll push any time I hit a pair of aces (with any kicker) unless I have a good reason not to. Which means that I don't much mind if I don't get many callers. In that case, I'm in a short-handed pot with more liklihood of my top pair holding up. On the other hand, if I get lots of callers I might need to improve beyond top pair more often, but I'm also getting good odds with a bigger pot.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to play Axs from anywhere.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:59 AM

Default Re: How many people do YOU like to have in the pot before you call wit

5+ or HE with a blind/EP. With limpers I probably fold it if I don't hit flush draw, even if Axx on the flop, without 2 pair i'm probably only seeing it through to the turn depending on how the table plays / pot size.

Hey bro-

This is a very poor approach to playing Axs.

I am not sure what is worse, waiting/expecting 5 lipmers or folding with top pair on the flop.

See:
NPA #1

NPA #2
Old 06-11-2004, 07:33 AM

As Dynasty would say...

If you can't play A2s UTG, then you're sitting at the wrong table.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:12 AM

With A2-A5, I will check/call the flop, and bet the turn if noone bet on the flop. If the hand was raised preflop, I'd consider raising a bet on the flop if I have a feeling KK is in the pot, or perhaps calling down, depending on the player. I won't fold unless a couple other people get into a raisefest. If I have a 4 flush (With an ace, or a king if I have suited cards) and a pair, irregardless of the pair, if there are 3 or more people in the hand, I will raise at every opportunity unless the board has a scary pair, where I'll stop at a 3-bet.

If I have a 6 or better kicker, I'll bet, and call a raise, although I'd consider folding to a rock. I won't play a pair of aces super agressively unless I have a good kicker.

If other people in the pot raise and 3-bet, I will cap it if I have a 4-flush or hit 2 pair, and fold if I don't.

I haven't been playing weak suited aces UTG in most games, although I can see how that would be an ok play in a loose game, you have a shot for a pair of aces (May be best), 2 pair is always nice, and there's a potenial gutshot or double gutshot in there too along with the flush potential.

Guess I'll start playing weak suited aces from UTG, as when I hit on them, the pots can be quite large (Especially when I have an ace high flush, and my opponents have queen and king high flushes, and don't lay their hands down).
Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With A2-A5, I will check/call the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know what the flop will be and what action you will take when you haven't seen it yet?