Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: best book for single table SNG??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This will have to be confirmed, but I have been told that there is a section in Winning Low Limit Hold'em 3rd edition by Lee Jones.

I plan on picking it up soon, and if nobody replies sooner, I will let you know what I think when I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the new edition of WLLH does have a nice section on the one table SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jones on SnGs is like Jones on LLHE. If you are a new player, it will greatly improve your game, taking you to break-even or even winning, but you need to go beyond that to get to be a consistent winner.

Also, I believe Jones has indicated that a lot of the work on SnGs in the book was done with a collaborator. Certainly a lot of his discussion of the play of the games and the attainable results are just flat wrong, indicating a lack of first hand information. He does state in the book that the attainable results he cites are reported numbers from others.

Example 1: In figuring hourly win rates, he cites the average time for a SnG as around 45 minutes. This is from the Poker Room Manager of PokerStars, where SnGs typically last about 75 minutes.

Example 2: He reports results from good players showing that an ROI of 33% is sustainable up to the $100 level. This is patently absurd, and shows no experience with the game.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This will have to be confirmed, but I have been told that there is a section in Winning Low Limit Hold'em 3rd edition by Lee Jones.

I plan on picking it up soon, and if nobody replies sooner, I will let you know what I think when I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the new edition of WLLH does have a nice section on the one table SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jones on SnGs is like Jones on LLHE. If you are a new player, it will greatly improve your game, taking you to break-even or even winning, but you need to go beyond that to get to be a consistent winner.

Also, I believe Jones has indicated that a lot of the work on SnGs in the book was done with a collaborator. Certainly a lot of his discussion of the play of the games and the attainable results are just flat wrong, indicating a lack of first hand information. He does state in the book that the attainable results he cites are reported numbers from others.

Example 1: In figuring hourly win rates, he cites the average time for a SnG as around 45 minutes. This is from the Poker Room Manager of PokerStars, where SnGs typically last about 75 minutes.

Example 2: He reports results from good players showing that an ROI of 33% is sustainable up to the $100 level. This is patently absurd, and shows no experience with the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:56 AM

STT Forum....and enjoy.