Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Wussy Short Sessions -- anyone else do this when they\'re running good?

Even though the 5/10 SH games have been getting tougher recently, my run of good cards has compensated -- 6k hands this month, 5BB/100. (I'm normally a 2.5BB/100 player.) Pretty damn sure that the bump has little to do with skill.

But I know that that -100BB swing is comin' . . . and so I find myself logging off quickly after any relatively short session (100 to 200 hands) in which I post a good profit. Just to make sure I'm Keeping Ahead, so to speak. Anyone else doing this (quite lame) move? The whole "want to end on a high note" problem seems even worse than usual -- I know this run can't keep up, and the more hands I play, the sooner it will end . . . blah blah blah.

This is where you tell me I'm retarded. Queue the music . . .
Old 12-14-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Wussy Short Sessions -- anyone else do this when they\'re running g

I do this, but in the exact opposite situation. If I've been running bad for a while and suddenly hit a hot streak of cards (or a good table), and score some big wins, I'll often quit a session early for the psychological advantage of "booking" a winning session. Probably makes no difference in the former case and probably technically -EV in the latter, but I think the psychological benefits of feeling like a "winner" are often beneficial enough to make it worthwhile (for me, anyway).
Old 12-14-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Wussy Short Sessions -- anyone else do this when they\'re running good?

The reason why the "hit and run" technique is a loser is because you are limiting your winnings. There is no reason to think that you wouldn't continue to win 2.5BB/100 for the next 200 hands.

But, in the grand scheme of things, the only thing that matters is how many hands you play. And confidence is good. So any statistical argument somebody could make to convince you to stop could be countered by the argument that it's helping you play well... and either way you're going to play hundreds of thousands of hands of poker.

The only real problem occurs when you consciously decide to play until you either win 10BB or lose 100BB. It doesn't sound like you're doing that.

Enjoy the run.

"I love winnin', man... it's like... better than losin'"

-Meat, from Bull Durham

Irieguy
Old 12-14-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Wussy Short Sessions -- anyone else do this when they\'re running good?

"*Queue* the music"?

I *am* retarded . . .
Old 12-14-2004, 06:23 PM

Yeah, I'm retarded, too.

I've been playing online sporadically over the last couple of months, and most of that time, have been on a losing streak.

Last night, I hit a monster and raked a 40BB pot. Heck, I was so delighted to be in the black for a session, that I quit soon after.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:41 PM

Mike Caro has an excellent article on his website www.poker1.com, under the articles section under the MCU of Poker tab near the top entitled "How Poker Players Suffer Big Losses By "Reverse Manufacturing"".
It describes why what you are doing will be detrimental to your bankroll.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Caro has an excellent article on his website www.poker1.com, under the articles section under the MCU of Poker tab near the top entitled "How Poker Players Suffer Big Losses By "Reverse Manufacturing"".
It describes why what you are doing will be detrimental to your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely fantastic article. That's me. That's SO me. Holy crap . . .
Old 12-15-2004, 01:51 AM

This is a very bad habit to get into because you will start shorting yourself on the total hours played. Inevitably, when you do hit your downswing, it will take you longer to dig out of it.

Focus on playing every hand in every session to the best of your ability. Don't worry about individual session wins and losses.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:12 AM

If you read what any 2+2 book has to say about money management, you'll see why what you're doing is silly. If you are a winning player, put in your hours. End of story.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:34 PM

Oh, I put in tons of hours . . . when I'm down and need to catch up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I probably play better when I'm down, too, as odd as that is.