Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: UTG with AA in very loose 10/20

Given your description of the action, which is highly unlikely to actually be true in any real game scenario, you should definitely open limp. To open raise in the situation described is very bad.

The advantage to open-raising is that it isn't so obvious that you have a hand like AA, but giving up this information is worth less than the five to seven extra small bets you're getting in the pot right away.

Of course, I simply don't believe your conditions. Usually, the decision is closer than you make it.

-Michael
Old 10-14-2004, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Capiche..........that's what I've been doing...alot of ups and downs in this game though..........

[/ QUOTE ]

Pocket AA or KK is the monster hand to have either in loose/tight/passive/aggressive/wild/weak/soft/crazy and whatever kind of game you can think of. They work well one on one of course. But they also work very well multi-way. You have the best starting hand and thus you to maximize value for it. So that is why pre-flop you always raise and re-raise no matter what. So if I know there's going to be a raiser up front, then I'll limp and re-pop it. It's great +EV.

Sure enough, multi-way the chances for your Aces to win go down, but usually if you do win, you'll be compsensated by a bigger pot or more BB won. This offsets the times you do lose. Again it's all about EV, and not how many times you win or lose.

Many players whine they never win with AA in multi-way which is downright a lie. I've taken some 25+ BB pots down with AA in EP with about 6 - 8 callers unimproved on the board. At the same time, expect to be outdrawn your fair share. It's the nature of loose games.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure it should - you should limp-reraise to get more money in. He said if he raises, no one will 3-bet. So he's got 6 opponents for 14sb. If he only limps, someone will raise and he can reraise; so he's got 6 opponents for 21sb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could get 8 opponents for 8 SB. I'd open raise
Old 10-15-2004, 01:03 AM

Why on earth would you want that. IF you don't want to get a lot of money in the pot with AA, when do you want to get a lot of money in the pot. The post flop action won't change, as this lineup obviously doesn't pay attention to pot odds and other concepts, which means your Aces are either going to win, or not...might as well take the 7:1 preflop for the max possible, dontcha think...
Old 10-15-2004, 04:13 AM

Default Backraise

If you are really that confident that there will be a raise if you limp, then I'd play for a back-raise. Your hand is so much stronger than any other that you get a ton of pre-flop equity. Make the others commit as much to the pot as possible when they are way behind, and you amplify their error. Fundamental TOP.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:16 AM

I've seen 10/20's like this. In fact, I've played in a 10/20 in which at least three consecutive hands were capped (5 bets) pre-flop, at least 7-way action.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:26 AM

I'm not saying that these games don't exist, but that the OP's set of conditions was unreasonable. Even in insane games, UTG raises are going to get some respect from some players. And to say that there will be a guaranteed raise behind is outrageous.

-Michael
Old 10-15-2004, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth would you want that.

[/ QUOTE ]
He agrees with you. He wasn't saying that that's a favorable outcome; he was saying that it is a danger. That's why he said he would raise.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:57 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

If you really think someone will raise behind you, go for the limp reraise. If in doubt, raise it. You're not trying to isolate with this hand. You shouldn't mind 7 callers to your raise here. But i do know the feeling of watching your likelihood of it holding up going down.

I tried a limp reraise last night. 2 maniacs on my left. They both just LIMPED behind me!!! I guess they didn't have their normal J6o to raise with. Turns out one of them had KJo. Them's the breaks though.

b
Old 10-16-2004, 02:03 PM

What is this happy days? Tell me something I don't know.