Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 04:42 AM

Default BB special Q2o...advice seeked...

I'm in BB with Q2o. UTG calls and everyone folds to me and rap the table to see the flop.

QJ2 rainbow. It doesn't get much better for me, but I can only take it as far as UTG is willing to. He can be aggressive at times and is capable of bluffing. I check to him. Ah...good a bite. I call his bet.

The turn comes another Q. Hmm...I now have a full house. Maybe this will kill my action? I check to him again to see if he's interested. He bets again. Very very nice...Now here's dilemma #1:

Question #1: Should I pop the raise now? I don't want to scare him away so although I was very, very tempted, I decide to smooth call.

The river brings a blank. Now I don't want to give him a free showdown, so I bet out. To my slight surprise, he calls and I take it down.

Question #2: How many people would check in this spot with the intentions of checkraising? I was definitely afraid he might check it out, so I went with the old adage "When it doubt, bet it out".

Question #3: He didn't show his hand. What in the world could he possibly have? If he had a Q, he'd probably pop me on the river. I'm guessing he has a J with a good kicker, K or A, in which case I think my betting out on the river was correct. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again in advance.

Garland
Old 01-12-2004, 04:55 AM

Default Re: BB special Q2o...advice seeked...

Hi Garland,
I think you missed one bet on this hand. Check-raise the turn if you check-call the flop, and check-raise the river if you check-called the turn, too. Here's why: he'll probably bet some missed draws when the blank hits, since he can easily put you on a draw. Q J x flops contain many possible draws.

By the way, I think the default way to play this hand heads up is to check-raise the flop, hoping to tie him on, and bet all the way for value. In this instance, you turned a near-unbeatable hand, and he actually had something (most likely a Jack), so the way you played it got most of the money you could have. But, playing it either of the other ways I suggested will maximize your wins in a wider range of situations (not just when he has a hand).
Old 01-12-2004, 05:15 AM

Question1: For me it's a clear check-raise on the turn.
Question2: If you check-raise the turn, you don't have to question, wheter you should bet the river. In your case, yes I'd bet. Probability that he just tried to bluff you on the turn and will check it down now. It's unlikely that he holds a queen.
Question3: I'd also put him on KJ, may be even AJ, depending on the player.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question #1: Should I pop the raise now? I don't want to scare him away so although I was very, very tempted, I decide to smooth call.

The river brings a blank. Now I don't want to give him a free showdown, so I bet out. To my slight surprise, he calls and I take it down.

Question #2: How many people would check in this spot with the intentions of checkraising? I was definitely afraid he might check it out, so I went with the old adage "When it doubt, bet it out".

Question #3: He didn't show his hand. What in the world could he possibly have? If he had a Q, he'd probably pop me on the river. I'm guessing he has a J with a good kicker, K or A, in which case I think my betting out on the river was correct. Any other thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Garland,

I would check raise the turn for maximum value on this hand. Chances are he will decide to just call you down to the river. You do not check raise the flop, because you win an extra large bet instead of a small bet.

You played the river well, he most certainly would've checked the river if he had a jack or similar holdings.

Good luck,
Jason