Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Passive line

I'm experimenting with finding spots to be more passive. Perhaps this is not the time, with the draws out. Normally I 3-bet this flop and lead the turn. Villain is 22/8/1.5. I would probably call a river raise, although I'm not sure that's right.

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Edit: I should add that the table is getting sick of me running them over.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Passive line

i think i prefer your initial reaction of 3 betting the flop and leading the turn. given that you chose not to do that i think i would have donk bet the turn as long as no spade hit. by the time you get to the river a number of draws have now come in (spade flush and 9 T for a straight). the only ace pairs you beat are a2, a3, a4, a5, and a9. you lose to the other 7 ace combinations. therefore, out of position on the river i would probably check to try and induce a bluff out of my opponent. he might bet a busted draw he adopted on the turn or with one of the ace pairs you beat. another reason i suggest a river check is because you can't call a raise very easily imo. but, i have low river aggression numbers and maybe this is a place i need to learn how to bet and fold to a raise. hopefully some players better than i will comment more definatively on this subject.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:01 PM

I think you messed this one up. If the table is getting sick of you running them over, you especially want to ram and jam with your strong hands because you are more likely than usual to either get called down or get played back at by a worse hand. Even under normal circumstances I wouldn't want to give a free card to a potential spade draw, but under the circumstances you describe I feel even more strongly about reraising the flop and betting out on the turn.

FWIW, I think the time to be more passive in a shorthanded game is when you are in the pot with a very aggressive player who has position on you. Now you can set a trap for the aggressive player by check/raising him when you hit a strong hand.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 AM

I'll explain my reasoning. Since I've been running the table over I think it's likely he's raising with middle pair or worse, so I want to let him hang himself. I also think if he has an ace I'm likely behind, so I lose less if that's the case this way. I think it's unlikely he's on a draw, and I'm afraid he'll check behind on the river when the 3rd spade hits, which is why I bet. If he raises I'm obviously in trouble, but I don't think I can fold simply because I'm not sure if folding is correct. It's the old 'I'd rather make a one bet mistake than a one pot mistake.'

I guess the thing that bothers me is that the board is draw heavy, but I'm finding myself less concerned about this the more I play 6max. In full ring I'm always looking for ways to protect my hand, but these days I've been looking to exploit over-aggro opponents more. I'm just having trouble finding the right spots.