Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Poorly played $5/10 hand

CO is a 2+2er who is LAG, I respect his game. Not been getting hands this session, CO's been pressuring me alot, probably sees me as being pretty tight.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($485)
SB ($582.50)
BB ($968)
Hero ($1151)
MP ($360.50)
CO ($1632)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $45</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $35.

Flop: ($105) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($105) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $145</font>, CO calls $80.

River: ($395) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1442 (All-In)</font>, Hero ?.

checked river knowing CO would take a shot at it, wasn't prepared for the all-in though....where'd I play it wrong and who calls here???

Thanks

Malone
Old 09-07-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Poorly played $5/10 hand

When a LAG checks behind at a flop like that the warning-clock should ring.

I think he flopped three 9s or hit a set of aces on the turn.

Fold the river, not easy though.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:31 PM

I'd raise more on the turn, probably to 200. And given the way you played the hand, and what CO thinks of you. I'd call the overbet, since it's unlikely he puts you on a flush, and his line is inconsistent with that of a set. So the only hand I might be worried about here is A5.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:33 PM

lead flop; then hand will play itself.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When a LAG checks behind at a flop like that the warning-clock should ring.

I think he flopped three 9s or hit a set of aces on the turn.

Fold the river, not easy though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking as well.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:35 PM

hey malone, i doubt you need to take pf suggestions from me or whatnot, but... i dont like limp/calling dominated hands oop from aggressive opponents. it just leads to tricky (read: unprofitable) scenarios where you dump alot of money "finding where you are," etc etc.

that said I normally raise pf, KJh is good hand. =)

On the turn I like the c/r, he didnt bet the flop so he has nothing or big hand, you give him a chance to bluff at it or "protect" his hand... But you need to c/r more. For both value and protection...

On the river I think you should fold, normally here I like block betting to garner money from smaller flushes / mid pairs he may try to snap you off w/ etc, just because I dont know what hand range he'd value bet or bluff. (Most similar but worse hands check behind, and what bluffs the riv? You have the Kh)

BTW riv you're calling 960 to win 2315, so he needs to be bluffing ~42% of the time to break even. Given lack of things he could be bluffing, and the fact he's not betting a worse hand for value here, it's a fold.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey malone, i doubt you need to take pf suggestions from me or whatnot, but... i dont like limp/calling dominated hands oop from aggressive opponents. it just leads to tricky (read: unprofitable) scenarios where you dump alot of money "finding where you are," etc etc.

that said I normally raise pf, KJh is good hand. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally wouldn't, but SH against someone who's raising the majority of his hands PF (he could have a huge range of hands)I will. Especially since he knows/thinks I play tight, giving me the chance to push him off a hand if he does happen to have one.

Malone
Old 09-07-2005, 06:32 PM

I raise coming in here and sometimes fold...i think limping is ok if the games real passive and youll induce QJ/JT/KT to limp behind, but its not...and calling that raise is the sucks!

As far as the river play goes.

Does he know youre 2+2?
Does he overbet without the nuts on the end?
Do you check the nuts EVER on the river....hes a lag, he knows you might do this to induce a bluff?
What do you put him on when he calls your turn CR? AK w/ the Kh is possible but why wouldnt he have bet the flop and why would he push the river?

I fold this river a lot.

Why would he call the turn just to bluff the river all in?

Why would he push all in with a weaker flush when the board paired? He def doesnt have a weaker flush like a J high trying to get value from your even weaker flush since you limped UTG....therefore youre beating a bluff and losing to a full.

Unless he VeRy frequently does this push...
Fold. You said yourself you didnt expect his "bluff" to be all in...
As5s makes sense to me. Dont bet the flop b/c he probably has you reverse dominated and could win a decent pot if an ace hits the turn and you have AK. That or 99 or 33.

-JP-
Old 09-07-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does he know youre 2+2? [ QUOTE ]

Yes

[ QUOTE ]

Does he overbet without the nuts on the end?
Do you check the nuts EVER on the river....hes a lag, he knows you might do this to induce a bluff?[ QUOTE ]

This I don't know...haven't played with him all that much.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you put him on when he calls your turn CR? AK w/ the Kh is possible but why wouldnt he have bet the flop and why would he push the river?[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking flopped set, thinking because I'm tight, probably have flush and hoping to fill up.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:35 PM

Wow that's ugly,
hope you can decipher that.

Malone