Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: How does it feel...

Nice post Droolie, I couldnt agree with you more
Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 PM

Nice post Droolie, thanks.

What I would like to know is how much time do you figure is necessary to invest in poker. Playing and studying combined? Obviously more is better, but since I also tend to do other things in life (studying (non poker related [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] etc etc). If I played for 15 hours per week and spent about 5 hours of reading about poker is that giving myself a fair shot?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:53 PM

20 hours a week is plenty. Anything over 10 I think is fine.

Don't underestimate the value of study though. Poker is incredibly complicated and even the best players in the world do not have it all figured out. Some think they do but that's another topic... The moment you stop trying to learn is the moment you should quit. You can play and play and play and not learn a damn thing. I play against terrible palyers who play all the time and never get any better. One of the great things about these boards is that it will help you to understand not only what you are doing wrong beut what other players are doing and why. What does that turn C/R by the rock UTG mean? What hand does the LAG MP1 have when he raises pf but checks the flop? Why did the LAG wake up on that river blank and bet into me? These are the kind of things that can happen over and over and you won't know how to handle them. The better idea you have of what the other guys have the better your results will be. It's really quite simple.

These boards help you see things clearer. They will also provide you with resources and tips that will take you however far you want to go. I never would've figured out bonus whoring or bought pokertracker if it hadn't been for 2+2 forums. It would've taken me many many months of playing before I discovered SSH. 2+2 will get you where you want to go a lot faster.

I've seen dozens of guys start out with posts like your and never return. Don't be one of those guys. I've also seen many guys go from being total clueless newbs to becoming solid players in a short period of time. Quite a few are currently playing higher limits than I do. To be one of those guys invert your playing time (15hours to 5 hours) and studying time (5 hours to 15 hours) and you'll be on your way.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Point taken droolie. I knew I was onto something when I found this forum. You sound exactly like I would whenever some enthousiastic kid walks into our poolhall. We tell them to focus on training and all they do is play ...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started playing .25/.50 in stead of .5/.10 because i felt that players at those tables were not really serious.

Apart from the basic education this little fish needs, should I really stick to .5/.10 until my bankroll is sy 150 dollars or so??

[/ QUOTE ]

YES YES YES!!! That is exactly what you should do. I started playing .02/.04 on PokerStars with $10 and built it up to $30, moved to .05/.10 and built it up to $150, and THEN moved to .25/.50. I'm holding my own at .25/.50 and I think it's 100% down to the fact that I ground out so many hands at the nano-limits.

I would move down to .05/.10, read SSHE, build your bankroll and then move up.