Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Party SNG help

I mainly play 20-50 dollars sng's on party. I've also made a few bucks in the past so it's not exactly like i'm clueless. Lately I've developed a strategy of a rock. I use Poker office and it's not unusual if I see less then 10% of the flops (not that anyone notices anyhow) whereas the majority of the table is playing much looser. This strategy will get me into the 50-100 blinds with usually a shorter stack, roughly around 750-1000 well behind the chip leaders. With an M of around 5-6 it becomes time to make a move. This is basically where the fundamental part of the question lies. What is the best strategy at this point? Do I go for stealing at any opportunity, pushing any 2 if it's folded to me? I usually don't do this, but what I find happening is that if i wait and then push with
the best playable hand I see at some point, (mainly any 2 face cards, any ace or king, or any pair) and I'll be getting called by bigger stacks that I'm usually
the favorite to but still I have my tourny life at stake so one loss and it's over. I'd rather push any 2 and hope to steal the blinds. One more point is that my rock like status isn't picking up any chips early which has it's ups and downs. I've tried playing aggressive early on but that is always risky. Say it's 15-30 blinds and I raise it up to 90 with something like AQ. Say the flop will miss me, now I have a decision to make, should i make a continuation bet which costs me another big portion of my stack, which looks obvious to any donkey as a steal with 2 big cards, or just to check. I'm risking a large amount of chips on any hand that is played which really ruins my gameplan if I
lose. I really don't like limping early on but I am starting to think it's the way to play these tournys. I feel like I'm giving up to many opportunties early
on by folding marginal hands like KJ, A10. And I adhere to the gap concept of only calling raises with stronger hands which I'm also starting to think is completely wrong in these tourny's. I'll see a raise pre flop and call and I'll
be sitting with AQ and thinking that I should just fold to stay out of trouble,then the donks will show 87 sooooted and A9. Hopefully this post isn't too long that no one replys but I wanted to get my entire thoughts down. Any help is appreciated.