Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Small or Medium Stakes What\'s Easier?

Hi there

I play at low stakes 1 / 2 and although I do ok I am continually frustrated by the no foldem brigade who play like crazees and kill you on the river with trash initial holdings. Given this is it actually easier to play at higher stakes where players are more likely to play according to some sort of poker strategy and will not take you out on a long shot? Would be interested in your comments.
Thanks
Adam
Old 07-27-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Small or Medium Stakes What\'s Easier?

...is it actually easier to play at higher stakes where players are more likely to play according to some sort of poker strategy and will not take you out on a long shot

You're basically asking whether it's easier to beat a game with opponents who play well rather than in a game with opponents who play poorly. What do you think the answer is?

BTW, if you can't beat a 1-2 game, then you are very likely to be one of the people who play poorly and will get slaughtered at the middle limits.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:15 PM

Hi, I also play mainly 1-2 online and I understand your frustration. However, surely it must be obvious that you want to play against poor players. Now, this may just be a good run that I'm having, but I'm averaging 4.75 BB/hr over the last 110 hrs playing 1/2 at Party. And it's not because I'm an expert, it's due to the less than stellar play of my competitors. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And I've experienced my share of bad beats, also. I've also put some bad beats on people, but we have a tendency to forget those [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If someone wants to play J3o UTG, that's fine with me. I'm not an odds expert but that person has the same odds to flop 2 pair as does the person playing AJo (approx. 50-1 I think). Which hand to you want to be playing against? Also, it doesn't take long to figure out who plays crap and who plays fairly decent or better. You just have to accept the crazy play; in fact, embrace it. It's gonna make you a ton of money as long as you learn to handle it emotionally. When you drag that big pot, you can easily forget all those bad beats you suffered. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] On the other hand, you could find a tight, aggressive 5/10 table for awhile and see which game you prefer to play in.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:59 PM

If you want a dollar per dollar average small online stakes are more profitable, by far, but at the end of the day the most you can consistently grindout at a 1/2 online table is about 60 dollars US for about 7 hours of play. If you goto a tight aggressive 5/10 table your BB per hour may not be 4 an hour, probably more like 1.5 or 2 but that will translate into about 90 to 140 a day.......
Old 07-27-2003, 07:43 PM

Hi Lefty, if I had the ability (and the bankroll) to consistently beat the 5/10 tables, that's where I'd be. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was simply trying to point out the obvious--it's easier to beat poor players as opposed to good players, irrespective of the number of bad beats one takes. And when I get a bankroll I'll move up to 2-4 (I usually take money out to pay off some debt I have). But, going back to the original question, wouldn't you rather have your 5/10 table playing like a loose, passive 1/2 table?
Old 07-27-2003, 07:55 PM

Default post some hands...reread Theory of Poker...

Given this is it actually easier to play at higher stakes where players are more likely to play according to some sort of poker strategy and will not take you out on a long shot?

You would rather play against opponents who play poorly and make mistakes then against opponents who play as well as or better than you do. I will let other posters elaborate more.

Perhaps you need to evaluate how you play in those type of games. Perhaps you need to adjust your play.

Post some hands and take it from there.

_MG_