Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Getting A Dual Monitor Setup Need Help!

Ok here's the deal. I have a dell 2001fp monitor and I am wanting to buy a second one so i can 8 table effectively. My pc is pretty new. I have a radionx600xt graphics video card and my pc is a hp media center jobby. I am a novice when it comes to setting up my pc so i can run 2 2001fp's through my computer. My question is given this information what would i need to do to have dualling heaven. Do i need a new graphics/video card? If anyone can help i would be eternally grateful because i won't buy my second monitor until i know for sure what i need to do. Please help.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Getting A Dual Monitor Setup Need Help!

is your vid card capable of dual monitors? go to anandtech.com and go to their forums and post to see how to get a dual monitor setup.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:52 PM

You can use the VGA (blue) and DVI (white) plugs in the back of your computer. They'll be right next to each other.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:15 PM

Thx for the responses. Yes I can see there is the vga blue plug that i have my 2001fp linked up to at the moment. My question is what is the white socket for and how do i use it? As you can see I am a laymen, do i need a certain cable or something? Cheers
Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 PM

The white socket is a DVI plug. Your 2001FP should have came with both cables. Unplug your VGA (blue) cable immediatley! Use the DVI because it looks soooo much better!

I will have to check and see if your vid card allows you to use both at the same time.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:25 PM

Yeah i found my dvi cable, should i change it what is the difference, what does dvi stand for?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i found my dvi cable, should i change it what is the difference, what does dvi stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]

VGA is analong. So your video card will convert digital->analog and send it over the cable to your monitor. Then the monitor will decode it and display it (loss of data).

DVI = Digital Visual Interface. It takes the digital output from your video card and sends it straight to the monitor. No loss of information giving you a crystal clear picture.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:29 PM

Remember to change hit the source button (on the 2001FP) to change its input from VGA to DVI.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:46 PM

ok thx notalent for that i changed to the white cable and it seems even better. If you could check out my video card i would be eternally grateful!.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok thx notalent for that i changed to the white cable and it seems even better. If you could check out my video card i would be eternally grateful!.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like it can handle 2 monitors at once. You would have to set it up through windows once you got your 2nd monitor. Please check the manual I can't find it online.

The only problem is you would have one connected through VGA and the other connected through DVI. You can purchase a PCI video card with DVI on it for $50 or less on newegg if you want to go that route.