Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: AQ three bet pf, hit tp

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who doesn't like the raise PF in MP1 for just what happened. You get cold-called by MP2 and 3 bet by Button at a tight table. Now you're faced with having to call 3 bets w/ AQo knowing that the cold caller may re-raise behind you and then you're looking at 4 bets w/ AQo, and first to act w/ 2 others.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I wouldn't even raise KK here, b/c someone may have AA.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:47 PM

"yea, I wouldn't even raise KK here, b/c someone may have AA."

Can I assume a hint of sarcasm here.

My point is there are alot of hands ahead of AQo PF, and given a tight table I wouldn't like all the pre-flop action. If you call, get raised by MP2 and 3 bet by the button, I'd let it go PF. If MP2 calls, button raises, then I'd call for 2. Maybe that's my weakness.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who doesn't like the raise PF in MP1 for just what happened. You get cold-called by MP2 and 3 bet by Button at a tight table. Now you're faced with having to call 3 bets w/ AQo knowing that the cold caller may re-raise behind you and then you're looking at 4 bets w/ AQo, and first to act w/ 2 others.

[/ QUOTE ]

AQo is a strong enough hand to open raise with from any position.

The later your position, the better chance you will have of picking up the blinds uncontested.

At low limits your hand is strong compared to the weak hands a lot of loose players will call with.

If re-raised by a decent player, you are only dominated by AK and AA. Against the other pocket pairs you are only a small underdog HU.

So overall it is more +EV (profitable) to open raise with AQo than limp with it. Simply put, it might not be as good as AA or AK, but it is still a very strong preflop hand.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I assume a hint of scarcasm here.

My point is there are alot of hands ahead of AQo PF, and given a tight table I wouldn't like all the pre-flop action. If you call, get raised by MP2 and 3 bet by the button, I'd let it go PF. If MP2 calls, button raises, then I'd call for 2. Maybe that's my weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think that is a bad way of looking at things. You can't always assume teh worse. Sure he may have AK or AA, but we are ahead of KK, QQ, JJ once we hit our A. AQ is a strong hand, you should be raising it pf, then if it gets raised 15 times after our raise, we have to adjust. What are you suggesting we do, fold, or call. Calling is just inviting others to limp along. That makes it harder to play b/c AQ doesn't play as well against 5 people as it does against 2 or 3.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:08 PM

"At low limits your hand is strong compared to the weak hands a lot of loose players will call with."

"Calling is just inviting others to limp along."

Thanks for the input. I will admit I look more short term than long term in the sense that AQo will win more than loose more against weaker players if raised. I can see where raising will limit the field b/c I do agree that the more players the worse off you are.

Lately I feel if I'm playing too many hands too far and I've tried to adjust (wrongly perhaps) to play tighter. I'm working to adjust to somewhere in between and the feedback here as well as discussion helps greatly.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:45 PM

Okay am I the ONLY one who can't see hand 2??? It's cut off on the PF action for me.

Also: AQo is a great hand and must be raised, on a tight table even more so. AQo isn't great multi-way so I'd much rather take this flop HU or 3 handed and because they're so tight you might even take the blinds down right now.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I feel if I'm playing too many hands too far and I've tried to adjust (wrongly perhaps) to play tighter. I'm working to adjust to somewhere in between and the feedback here as well as discussion helps greatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing your ui overs too far post flop, that is a different situation all together. Preflop, AQ is a big hand, and you have to play it that way. You won't see AK or AA or other big hands every time, so when you get AQ it is likely the best hand.

Post flop, you have to play poker if you don't hit a pair. Watch for back door draws that add extra value to your hands. You will generally have 6 outs to your over cards, but don't worry about folding a big hand even though you raised pf, it happens.

There is a lot of discussion on here about playing over cards, b/c it is hard to do. Go back and read it, it will help a great deal.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:01 PM

c/c the flop and c/r the turn to see where you're at. If he 3-bets you, you're probably beat, but c/c the river if you don't improve and showdown the hand. Assuming he has a smaller range 3-betting pf hands, he could be sitting on QQ or KK here trying to bluff you off the hand while looking to hit the set.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/c the flop and c/r the turn to see where you're at. If he 3-bets you, you're probably beat, but c/c the river if you don't improve and showdown the hand. Assuming he has a smaller range 3-betting pf hands, he could be sitting on QQ or KK here trying to bluff you off the hand while looking to hit the set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this line. If we do get 3bet, we are likely behind, but probably can't fold, so we put in 2 extra bets to see show down. If he has QQ or KK, he may fold to our turn check raise, so we only gain 1 bb.
If we donk the river, he will be hard pressed to raise us w/ AK, so we save a bb when we are behind, and he will likely be confused by our donk and call, so we gain an extra bb when ahead, b/c he can't check thru.
I think this is a very easy wa/wb here.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:18 PM

You played it fine...

I check/call every street and bet if he checked behind somewhere along the line.

Donking the river is cool too, but you gotta be able to fold to a raise