Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Hand from Party $500K: weak-tight or good fold here?

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is 10401 when it gets to you and have to call 3901, so you are getting 2.66:1.

Even if you put him on the insanely tight range of AA-99,AK, you are a 2.24-1 dog, making this a clear call.

Since you only have 11 BB's you have to decide before you enter the pot, what you will do if someone comes over top.

If you don't want to call, fold PF.

If you want to play the hand, its probably best to push PF.

With 11BB's and being UTG, I fold this here, unless the table has been uber-tight PF, but I still would probably fold.

Not a great hand, and you have a whole table of hands behind you, so not a great situation either.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Woodguy,

I think you just about covered everything that I should have been thinking about in this hand. I think the most important thing, though, is what you said at the end - with 11 BBs and in relatively EP, I should be folding this. The table was pretty tight, but I had been raising a lot PF, so it was only a matter of time before someone played back at me. Unfortunately I didn't really think about this before I made the raise here. I think it's a good raise from LP at this table, but not from EP with my stack because I'll have to lay it down to any of the other sizable stacks and by raising it in EP there's a greater chance I'll get re-raised. I could have waited another round to find a better hand or better position to steal with. The fact of the matter is that if I am not willing to call a re-raise with the hand, then it is a steal attempt - and in this case, an ill-advised attempt. I am still trying to learn how to change gears effectively, and I think this is an instance when I needed to gear down but didn't.

About the pot odds - I really do think the guy was as tight as your range (AA - 99, A/K). I will check with my PT stats later tonight, but he hadn't played many hands at all in the past hour. Yes, I know that I have to factor in that he was getting short and was getting desperate, but I still think there was a 50% or better chance that I was facing AA - QQ. When I get home tonight I'll try do run a calc using Harrington's method.

thanks for the response,

ts-
Old 11-14-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Hand from Party $500K: weak-tight or good fold here?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop!!!!!!!!!!!!! <u>FOLD PREFLOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</u>

[/ QUOTE ]

STOP BEING RETARDED!!!! GIVE REASONING!!!

The reason he should fold pf is because of his stack size. You didn't say this, so the OP doesnt know if its because his hand sucks, or becasuse of his table or what. Also if the table was real tight i wouldnt fold this, i would also raise 2.5x.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the insight Ansky. I am still working on understanding how my stack size affects what hands I can play. Although I think Harrington is a bit rigid with his zones theory, I do think much of it is very important to understand and I still have a lot to learn when it comes to applying this theory in the middle of a tourney. I think part of my problem here was that the blinds had just increased, and I didn't think hard enough about what that meant in terms of my M. I had been pretty active with my PFRs and it was time for me to gear down a bit (before people started coming back over the top of my PFRs), but I hadn't thought that all through yet.

Congrats on getting deep and thanks for the response,

ts-