Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Another lay down question

I normally wouldn't post this (as I used to think it was an easy lay down), but due to some of the discussion in the last couple of days, I'm starting to wonder if I should lay this down.

No reads on Villian

PokerRoom 1/2 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> PokerRoom Converter at BonusHunting.net

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

River: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 11-17-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Another lay down question

I would reluctantly call down unless I was absolutely sure the button had me beat. If anything, I call down to prevent other players from taking shots at me when scare cards hit. Betting and folding to the raise will encourage a lot players to do just that.

I have been surprised when calling down how often I win as well. I have seen a lot of bluff raises in heads-up pots, and subsequently I have been calling down. I still lose the majority, but you don't have to be right often esp. in large pots.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM

The one nice thing about this hand is UTG+1 is all-in, so I will get to see Villians cards regardless.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I normally wouldn't post this (as I used to think it was an easy lay down), but due to some of the discussion in the last couple of days, I'm starting to wonder if I should lay this down.

No reads on Villian

[/ QUOTE ]

With no reads, I would check/call the river.

I'm also likely to have bet the turn. Checking when an ace drops is begging for someone to step in and bluff at you. By betting, you're putting them in a position to either be defensive or counterattack.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 PM

this fold is fine
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM

reads are important in these situations. Against most players this fold is fine. If the turn was say a T, I may be more tempted to call down. He is usually not bluffing when an A hits and you raised pf. so, here your fold it good.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:19 PM

I muck without a second thought. I think you're beat here 90% of the time or more against the avg. 1/2 player. if he's going to bluff-raise you, he's going to do it on the flop. from a bluffer's pov, the flop is a great place to push you off your A-high. the turn is not. he's got at least aces up.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would reluctantly call down unless I was absolutely sure the button had me beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong - do you see why?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:19 PM

With some opponents I would call down. However, I think you are probably correct that a lot of times, the hero is beat here. I really hate folding to raises on the same round of betting but perhaps I have been overzealous in applying the advice from SSHE.