Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-10-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Furgeson says have to be very intelligent! Is he right?

I was watching the monte carlo millions episode and Chris furgeson said something to the effect of you have to be very intelligent to be atop the poker world. Is he right?

I disagree with this. There are many players that are atop the poker world who are not very intelligent. And many players that are very intelligent that are not atop the poker world. I believe it is more about instinctive play and fearlessness to act or there instincts that make players at the top of the poker world.

Players such as Layne Flack, Scotty Ngyuen, PHIL IVEY, Mike mattusow(not sure at top but a threat), Jonny Chan, Hoyt Corkins, and many others are people that wouldn't be considered very intelliigent people. At least in the sense that furgeson uses. As he went on to give his degrees and such. I'm not in any way knocking these guys. But to show that they are players that might not necessarily be very intelligent people that dominate the tournament poker world. Which makes me think its more about having an inate talent for having very good instincts and having the ability (or fearlessness) to act on these instincts. I guess in a way i may be arguing the old "how important is math" issue as well. Where these are non math guys atop the tournament poker world.

So what do you guys think?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Furgeson says have to be very intelligent! Is he right?

I think for you to not only include Phil Ivey, but to write his name in all caps, shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

And yes, Ferguson is right.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:15 PM

Wow.

I don't even know why I'm responding, but you do know that intelligence comes in different forms - not just math, right?

You have to be intelligent to be the top anything in the world.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to be intelligent to be the top anything in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, this is just too much. Even at poker because of the nature of the game, given millions of players, there must be some mediocre or average at best players who are superstars just by chance. There is a place in the far right side of the bell curve.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM

not many people only miss "nguyen" by one letter but botch "ferguson" as badly as you just did.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:36 PM

Seriously, Ivey has been utterly dominant in everything he has done, is well spoken, etc. I don't see why anyone would say he's unintelligent.

Is it because he looks like he might enjoy rap music Smoothcall?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching the monte carlo millions episode and Chris furgeson said something to the effect of you have to be very intelligent to be atop the poker world. Is he right?

I disagree with this. There are many players that are atop the poker world who are not very intelligent. And many players that are very intelligent that are not atop the poker world. I believe it is more about instinctive play and fearlessness to act or there instincts that make players at the top of the poker world.

Players such as Layne Flack, Scotty Ngyuen, PHIL IVEY, Mike mattusow(not sure at top but a threat), Jonny Chan, Hoyt Corkins, and many others are people that wouldn't be considered very intelliigent people. At least in the sense that furgeson uses. As he went on to give his degrees and such. I'm not in any way knocking these guys. But to show that they are players that might not necessarily be very intelligent people that dominate the tournament poker world. Which makes me think its more about having an inate talent for having very good instincts and having the ability (or fearlessness) to act on these instincts. I guess in a way i may be arguing the old "how important is math" issue as well. Where these are non math guys atop the tournament poker world.

So what do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I rest my case against intelligent design.

BTW, don't be late for your MENSUR meeting, braniac.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 PM

?? Please elaborate instead of flinging insults. I put him in caps because he is considered one of the best live and tournament players around by many. And as far as i know wasn't any high scholar. If i am wrong i apologize. That he has a masters and such. If he does i'm wrong and apologize for adding him in. I just guessd on most of these guys by knowing a little of there backrounds that they aren't road scholars. If some of them are that i delete them form the list. Either way your attitude is highly uncalled for. Can't we have a discussion without all the insults. Why the anger?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 PM

Ferguson is wrong. When it comes to high stakes poker, instincts and reading people are much more important than 'intelligence'. Poker only requires a very small understanding of simple math. Instincts and reading skills are so much more important.

Stu Ungar anyone???
Old 11-10-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, Ivey has been utterly dominant in everything he has done, is well spoken, etc. I don't see why anyone would say he's unintelligent.

Is it because he looks like he might enjoy rap music Smoothcall?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because he doesn't have a Computer Science Diploma shoved up his ass next to a fully huminoid robot programmed to feel emotions.

[ QUOTE ]
Stu Ungar anyone???

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a genius with a photographic memory, i think that qualifies as intelligent (though you're point about instincts is spot on)