Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Most Overrated Poker Skill

This probably has been a post before, but I'm pretty sure at least not for a while. What do you think is the most overrated poker skill? A few days ago there was a top ten of poker skills so it gave me the idea for this post.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Most Overrated Poker Skill

Um... the ability to count. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ANd the most underrated... the ability to stay awake.

Just playing. I got nothin.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 PM

seeing someone's soul
Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 PM

[sarcasm]
I'd say that the most overrated skill is hand reading. The most underrated skill is passing SBDs at the table under the radar.
[/sarcasm]

Seriously, I think that the most overrated skill is bluffing. While it's definitely a very important tool, it's something that popular culture seems to put a lot of emphasis on.

Some people play poker as if it's the only tool in the toolbox by using it every hand. Obviously, these aren't winning players. These people don't realize that to run a successful bluffs you have to have the goods a lot of the time...otherwise, why would your opponent fold with, say, bottom pair?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:31 PM

FALSE! TOTALLY FALSE! Bluffing is huge! Sure ok yea those [censored] dorks who put a move on everything theyre in a pot and try crazy impossible bluffs Ok yea i agree thats retarded. But that doesnt mean that bluffing isnt huge. Especially in Big Bet poker. I believe the question was what is the most overrated poker skill. And to be a Top player i mean a real card player, you have to be an artist of the bluff(PERIOD). Personally i think the most overrated poker skill/theory is to adhear to a strict guidelines for preflop hand selection. Sure if you only play monster preflop/3rd St. OK youre gonna do ok in most poker games across the world. But I think the rules about when or when you can play Axs or KJ are way overrated and just stupid. Ok a take that back, when i tought by girlfriend to play poker, we had rules like that, but that was only because it was my money and i didnt want her to go broke before 3 AM. Bluff is huge!!!!! Preflop standards WEAK!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:52 PM

I didn't say that bluffing wasn't important, it is. I think the OP is somewhat loaded; the question doesn't take into account the type of players.

If you're talking about people that somewhat "know" how to play, then your opinion may be right. However, if you're talking about the novice, recreational player, you'll often see them bluff too much. In this case, the most underrated skill would be the opposite. Simply having a preflop standard would greatly improve their game. (Obviously many of these players are oblivious to the concept.)

My point was that a lot of people equate poker with bluffing. I admit that I could still be wrong, but it's just the first thing that pops into my mind as to being overrated for novice players.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most Overrated Poker Skill

[/ QUOTE ]

Chip tricks, and it's not even close.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 PM

For sure I agree 100% with that. Just tell any girl that you play poker the first thing theyre going to say is owww you must be a good lier then right??? For any novice, 'poker' and 'bluff' are pretty much the same word, i agree. And starting hand standards for someone new to the game should be a MUST! I agree
Old 11-09-2005, 08:40 PM

Being "unpredictable"

You hear terrible players often say, "well at least I'm unpredictable"
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 PM

being unpredictable is HUGE man honestly! Ok let me rephrase, Not being predictable IS HUGE!!!! I totally disagree with you. Predictable players pad the wallets of every cardplayer in the world. Bad players like really bad players man they are tough to beat sometimes jeez WHY? because they are so [censored] unpredictable, the easiest player to beat is Mr Predictable(PERIOD). that is unless you play only online with a player pool of 1,000,000,000 people, ok youre not gonna face the same people often(maybe at big LIMs) and no one is going to remember you. But if you play with the same people even more then one single time, you have to remember not only how they played but how you played agaisnt them and how they think you play. You following me?????