Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Do We Work Too Hard?

As I'm sitting at work, I am conscious of the fact that many people around me work very long hours(I work in a law firm). 60 or 70 hours a week is average for some of these guys, and some of them, longer than that.

Many of them are divorced. Several of them lament the fact that they never spend time with their kids. Many of them don't go on vacation for years at a time. One person told me she hadn't been on vacation in over five years.

I understand that people work as much as they want to, and that businesses are more than happy to let them do it. I would never suggest anything like a mandated vacation time or anything like that...my libertarianism is too strong... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

But, I wonder about this from a humanitarian point of view. Do we Americans work ourselves to death? I have seen data that says we outwork everyone, including the Japanese(which is saying something). We get less vacation and work more hours than the rest of the world.

As a result, we are very technologically advanced. But, if we are sacrificing so much of our lives, shouldn't we be #1 in everything? Shouldn't we lead the world in all categories related to output? And yet, we don't...so it makes me question why we do it.

Sorry about the hippie post from a generally firebrand free market guy, but frankly, I will never enjoy working more than I will playing...and I can't understand people who don't ever play...and I'm just asking for an explanation.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Do We Work Too Hard?

[ QUOTE ]
and I'm just asking for an explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM

Haven't you been listening to the Republicans? This is a welfare state that breeds laziness. The data you're seeing is wrong and probably just a product of the liberal media.

But on the bright side, we're by far the most obese country. That's the first thing the exchange students I mentor notice and make fun of us for when they come here.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:41 PM

When I had 2 kids I worked 70 hours a week.

Now I have 6 kids and work 40 hours a week(this includes the time I spend playing poker). I connect so much better with the youngest 4 kids than I do with the older two.

I had nicer stuff when I worked 70 hours a week but my overall quality of life is better now. I have come to realize most people are whacked out and I'm glad I came to my senses before it was too late.

Stu
Old 10-18-2005, 06:06 PM

We definately don't work more then the Japanese. That much I'm sure of.

I'd happily accept a 30% reduction in pay if is was accompanied by a 30% reduction in hours but most employers won't do that. Training costs and other things are too high.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:52 PM

My theory is that workaholics are escaping from something. If they have too much down time they'll realize how miserable they really are and that their life has no meaning. And to give it meaning will mean major restructuring which involves a lot of discomfort which they don't want.

That's my theory anyway.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 PM

Or they need the money. Student loans, healthcare, dependents, rent, etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:11 PM

I do think that we generally work too hard primarily because of one stupid fact. We've all bought into the heavily marketed idea that if you accumulate more things, you'll be happier.

Once you have the basic necessities covered, spending more time with loved ones or on a cherished hobby will make you happier than an upgraded car or bigger TV.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:46 PM

Yes. It's a combination of meaningless lives and the high debt we put ourselves into thanks to Capitalism and the banking system.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:49 PM

The best advice my father ever gave me was, "Find something you like to do -- then find someone willing to pay you to do it."

Amazingly, that person has always been there. I casually take a year off, then work a few years -- and I generally do the same things when I have a sponsor as I do when I don't. I work 100+ hrs. a week whether I'm being paid or not.