Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-20-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Controversy over symbols and racism .

[ QUOTE ]
Barry Bonds reply when asked if he'd like to be traded to Boston: Too many racists there.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a jack ass. Massachusetts is about as liberal a state as they come, and the 2 most popular Red Sox players over the past 10 years have both been Dominican.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:06 PM

I've observed the racism in southern california and I really think it's sorta similar, keep in mind I might be way off because I was only there two years, but there were a lot of parallels between blacks and mexicans in santa barbara.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:07 PM

Can someone explain how hating the South is any different then hating black people? If you are going to start picking out huge groups of people to hate, at least admit that you are a bigot
Old 12-20-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They were better equipped, better armed, baracaded the south with it's navy, and had much larger army

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is EXACTLY how they "covered the spread".

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem was that the Union soldiers sucked compared to the Rebels. Thus a four-year, bloody war.

The South (and appalachia in particular) still provides the U.S. its best soldiers to this day. Tough, skilled with firearms, know how to fight, can be pretty [censored] mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
The south got owned and they had the better army, okay. I'm not arguing that the Northern soldiers were better or strogner or tougher or anything, who the [censored] cares? That the south was better at war and still lost is only a further testment to their pwnedness imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

One way of looking at it.

Another way is that a starved, ragged, ill-equipped, outnumbered army forced the manufacturing center of the world into four overtimes.

Aside: who's the mod who thinks this cactus thing is a swastika? That's [censored] hilarious.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Example 2: My mother has a condescending view of most blacks but she hangs out with them, does business with them, etc. She really only has a problem with the ones that are poor. It's a bit of subtle racism that I don't know if it's better or worse than the overt type, you know?

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't seem all that subtle to me.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank god Clark came into this thread to back up Evan with some common [censored] sense.

The South lost, get over it.

Also, why the hell are you supposed to be proud of something that attempted to tear the nation apart? Are you really that [censored] stupid to have pride in a bunch of rebels that attempted to destroy the US? Would this have been a good thing? Do you not like the country you're living in? Can you imagine what would have happened if southerners had won? We'd probably all be speaking Mexican or Canadian by now.

And all these people are the same "patriots" nowadays who claim the Blue staters are the unpatriotic assholes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stayed out of this discussion as long as possible, but I couldn't let this slide.

The South wasn't trying to tear apart the country, they were trying to fix it. Like it or not, as it relates to the Constitution, the South was correct and the Federalist North was incorrect. All powers not given to the US by the Constitution are reserved to the States. The Civil War was the catalist for the bloated bureaucracy of a Federal Government that we see today. The Founding Fathers would be appalled at our federal government.

I don't like my country, I LOVE IT!!! It is the greatest place in the world to live. But it/we could be a helluva lot better.

Had the South won, we would be speaking English. In California, you probably would be speaking Spanish. Oh wait, you already do.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Don't get it twisted Jack, there are racists everywhere, and they represent nearly every race in America too. I have seen racist people in Montana, Idaho, WA, OR, and CA.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain how hating the South is any different then hating black people? If you are going to start picking out huge groups of people to hate, at least admit that you are a bigot

[/ QUOTE ]
Has anyone in this thread expressed that they hate southerners? Also, has anyone said that that is different than hating black people?

You're missing the point of this thread. It's not "southerners are bad because they hate black people", it's "the confederate flag has a lot to do w/ racism".
Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what a jack ass. Massachusetts is about as liberal a state as they come, and the 2 most popular Red Sox players over the past 10 years have both been Dominican.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Boston is also considered a notoriously racist city. Barry Bonds is far from the first person to say this. Political liberalism doesn't exclude racism, by any means. Refraining from ethnic slurs doesn't mean that you can't be racist.

I think JoA had some good points about different styles of racism. My southern friends are certainly much freer with the use of the word "[censored]" than people I know from New England, but I'm not sure that their actual attitudes/capabilities as far as relating to black people are that different.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They were better equipped, better armed, baracaded the south with it's navy, and had much larger army

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is EXACTLY how they "covered the spread".

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem was that the Union soldiers sucked compared to the Rebels. Thus a four-year, bloody war.

The South (and appalachia in particular) still provides the U.S. its best soldiers to this day. Tough, skilled with firearms, know how to fight, can be pretty [censored] mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
The south got owned and they had the better army, okay. I'm not arguing that the Northern soldiers were better or strogner or tougher or anything, who the [censored] cares? That the south was better at war and still lost is only a further testment to their pwnedness imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

One way of looking at it.

Another way is that a starved, ragged, ill-equipped, outnumbered army forced the manufacturing center of the world into four overtimes.

Aside: who's the mod who thinks this cactus thing is a swastika? That's [censored] hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spin it any way you want, I suppose.