Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Most Overrated Poker Skill

The willingness and psychological strength to make the BIG laydown in limit poker.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Here\'s my nomination

Most overrated poker skill:

The ability to come up with something "cool" to say for the cameras on ESPN.

Pass the sugar?!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Here\'s my nomination

The most hillarious part was even though he had the nuts on the flop (and therefor was pretty confident) he could have very easily been outdrawn. Imagine what a tool you feel like if the board pairs on the river.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Here\'s my nomination

And then trying to reconcile with the opponent by shaking his hand and saying "whatever happens." Yeah, I'm sure if the guy filled up, Hachem would have just shrugged it off. "Hey, you took my sugar!"

Seriously though, it's apparent that almost all these guys don't just come up with this stuff on the spot. How much time and thought goes into these phrases like "pass the sugar" and "I can dodge bullets, baby"? Obviously, there's some serious thought and planning involved. Practice, even. And for what in return? So guys like us can post back and forth all day about how stupid/cool/rude the guy was on television? Of course, the worst part is that most of them are poorly delivered and look canned.

At least chip tricks look cool.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most Overrated Poker Skill

[/ QUOTE ]

Chip tricks, and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't you see dutch boyd's chip trick segment in the wsop the other year? he says they are very important. essentially, if you know more tricks than the other guy, you are better

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For sure I agree 100% with that. Just tell any girl that you play poker the first thing theyre going to say is owww you must be a good lier then right??? For any novice, 'poker' and 'bluff' are pretty much the same word, i agree. And starting hand standards for someone new to the game should be a MUST! I agree

[/ QUOTE ]

don't post if you don't know crap about poker or don't wanna post what this post is about.

most overrated skill (at least for us mortals): multigame skill (omaha, etc) If you can play holdem profitably online, why learn stud hilo?

(ironically, i take pride in my multigame skills)
Old 11-13-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The willingness and psychological strength to make the BIG laydown in limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Only yesterday I was arguing with a couple folks on the micro-limit forums who were advocating calling the flop with QQ when there was an A on the board, then folding the turn when a brick lands. My line was, fold if you are really sure you're behind, or raise to see where you're at. Their line was call, fishing for a third Q or a card to make a straight.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Only yesterday I was arguing with a couple folks on the micro-limit forums who were advocating calling the flop with QQ when there was an A on the board, then folding the turn when a brick lands. My line was, fold if you are really sure you're behind, or raise to see where you're at. Their line was call, fishing for a third Q or a card to make a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this have anything to do "making big laydowns in limit poker"?

Anyway I don't have a single answer to the initial question because different levels of players overrate different skills.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link?

i dont believe this ever happened.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link?

i dont believe this ever happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

It did happen here. Linky.
However what Vex fails to mention that he advocated raising a preflop capper on a AJT (2 clubs) board, when hero has two red queens. To "find out where you are at"

[sarcasm]Most underrated skill in micro-limit poker: being able to "tell where you're at" when Fishy McFisherson 3-bets your -ev raise.[/sarcasm]