Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Queens

Hey fellas,

Wondering what you think about this hand. Flop/river are my most obvious issues here.

Only note on Villain is that he opened in the CO, I called in the BB with KT, c/red a T84 two-toned flop, he called, and then called down on a turn ace with QQ.

Tell me what you would do differently.

BTW, is there an Absolute converter? Thanks.

6-handed $1/2

Loose, bad player limps UTG. One fold, I raise in CO with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Folds to the Villain in the BB who calls, as does the limper.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Villain bets and we both call.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Checked to me, I bet, and only Villain calls.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

He checks and I check.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Queens

[ QUOTE ]

River T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

He checks and I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would most likely bet here, believing I was ahead. It's possible he paired up on the river and will call.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:35 PM

i like it all. not much value in a river bet, imo.

there's an absolute converter somewhere. search for "fourthnut.com" converter or something on google. you have to reorder the players by seat to get it to work correctly.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:46 PM

Villain has shown to be passive post-flop and will probably call down. His flop bet will almost always mean an ace but could also be a draw. The flush draw didn't hit on the river and only a moranically played straight draw got there. A bet will only make him fold a hand that you beat anyway, so checking the river is the play.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not much value in a river bet, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate? I think his ace would keep pushing on the turn a good majority of the time. I expect him to show down a weaker pair a majority of the time when he calls a river bet.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:33 PM

I dig - he's either got a busted [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw or a weak Ace.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not much value in a river bet, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate? I think his ace would keep pushing on the turn a good majority of the time. I expect him to show down a weaker pair a majority of the time when he calls a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I played this hand I really thought I should've bet the river. But now I'm wavering. You bring up some good points however.

A few things I was thinking of:

1. I'm almost completely ruling out AK-A8, A3 given the preflop/flop play. I just wouldn't see him checking the turn with a fairly good ace given that I just called the flop.

2. His flop/turn play represents a draw a ton of the time.

3. So essentially, if we assume he has a draw a large % of the time, the crux of betting the river seems to be whether he paired up somewhere along the way, with JT or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], etc.

Although this seems like a rare occurrence, I can't really see myself losing this hand the way the action played out (plus my read was only from playing with him for ~50 hands), so I think a bet is probably good here. Marginal, but good.