Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Marijuana vs. cigarettes

[ QUOTE ]
water bong is still contains resin, however there are pipes that heat up the weed releasing the active thc without all the side effects of burning it. the end effect is one joint = about 1.5 ciggs

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no. The first studies that are being released now suggest that vapor inhaled through a vaporizer contain less harmful substances than the air in the average US polluted city. 1.5 ciggs is awful, much more of a figure linked to a small bong (i.e. less water = less filtration) or maybe a moderately sized bubbler (a handheld pipe with water chamber).
Old 10-19-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marijuana is a gateway drug, unlike alcohol and tobacco.

[/ QUOTE ]

tobacco and alcohol are a gateway to marijuana.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My university was lucky enough to get "medical marijuana" to run tests on in a chemistry lab.

My girlfriend was a lab tech, and she shared some things with me, one of which is the fact that the harmful chemicals found in burned marijuana are blacklisted as possible carcinogens.

However, with new research coming out depicting everything from sunrays to chocolate cake as carcinogens, you may very well be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i heard (on the radio, loveline, dr. drew) that pot, much like many stimulants actually lower your sperm count. not that this is an argument for prohibition, i just wanted to see if someone with academic access could confirm/look this up.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:15 PM

I've been out of the loop for about 2 years now but .5 - 3 was what I was seeing from most the studies out at the time.

Did you know that every goverment funded researce project dealing with weed has recommed that it be decriminalized?

sure glad the goverment listens to what they pay for.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 PM

Cigarettes are worse. Pot should be legal. It isn't because there are no marijuana corporations to lobby for it, only stoners, who are as a rule a bit unmotivated by such things.

I am a pot smoker though I haven't had any in a few months. I hate cigarettes.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:33 PM

i admire your tireless and eloquent defense of the chronic.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My university was lucky enough to get "medical marijuana" to run tests on in a chemistry lab.

My girlfriend was a lab tech, and she shared some things with me, one of which is the fact that the harmful chemicals found in burned marijuana are blacklisted as possible carcinogens.

However, with new research coming out depicting everything from sunrays to chocolate cake as carcinogens, you may very well be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i heard (on the radio, loveline, dr. drew) that pot, much like many stimulants actually lower your sperm count. not that this is an argument for prohibition, i just wanted to see if someone with academic access could confirm/look this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't cause significant changes to your reproductive capacity. Any change that does happen seems to be temporary and doesn't appear to be enough to affect your reproductive capacity.

Here's a good page that talks about that, along with many other common myths about cannabis:

Common Cannabis Myths
Old 10-21-2005, 05:51 PM

LOL I should have edited. In the context of my post, there isn't much relevence.

BTW- this is just one document. If you find this subject interesting, I 'highly' recommend the documetary "Weed".

It not only traces the history of the laws, the history of the propaganda against pot (very funny) and, best of all, they have footage of the government testing pot on volunteers. Nothing like seeing 1950's housewifes getting baked then interviewed by government researchers.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:53 PM

Someone mentioned medical marijuana...

I saw an episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit! where they were discussing the "war on drugs". I was interested to find out that there are 7 people who currently receive federally funded marijuna for medicinal purposes. There were some nice shots of one of the guys standing outside different buildings in Washington openly smoking some big joints. There were 28 or so people at one time who received the pot. Most have died. After the 7 die, there will be no more federally legal marijuana.

It was also note-worthy that even though some states have legalized medical marijuana (ie: California), it is still a federal crime. So, they have to be secret about their locations.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any idea how many people would die in auto crashes if pot was legal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure... but I bet a lot of pot-smoking drivers would hit little girls on bicycles.