Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 08-05-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Coral Eurobet fake email Scam? anyone else seen this?

First post in the zoo - I just got an e-mail that appears to be from Eurobet. It says they are holding a Legends of Poker freeroll for high volume players, and I'm awarded a ticket. Just send an email to poker.manager@eurobet.com, since seats are limited.

Now, is this for real? It's got an official Eurobet header + footer, but anyone can put html into their emails. Additionally, at the bottom of the e-mail it's got the Eurobet signature, AND my account name, with the "If you've forgotten your password, call this number" thing.

Anyway, kind of groggy this morning I send in an email with my username + account name (not my password, duh, that would've have raised some flags in my sleep-deprived brain.) Fortunately, I was so tired I typed my account # wrong.

Almost immediately afterwards I get an automated reply from Eurobet saying that "poker.manager@eurobet.com" is an undeliverable e-mail address. I immediately panic and cash everything I have out of Eurobet - have I screwed myself?

Also, I just noticed: Eurobet emails usually come from "promotions@eurobet-online.com"
This one came from: "promotions@coralbookmakers.co.uk"

If this is a scam, it seriously worries me, because it would have to be done by someone within eurobet - how else would they get my email/account name combo to begin with? And use eurobet's email server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Surf
Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Coral Eurobet fake email Scam? anyone else seen this?

Looks like typical party skin screwups to me. It'd have to be awfully clever/stupid to send you a fake invalid address email. I think you can be confident nobody has your username and wrong account number. What they could do with them anyway I don't know. Sounds like they already had the username.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:52 PM

well...if it was a scam they got me. i responded with my username and screenname (no password tho) and got an undeliverable error. so i went to the website and sent a emessage or whatever the [censored] it is. a couple days later i got a confirmation from the pokerroom manager in my email that my seat was locked up for me.

so i dunno....seemed legit to me.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:58 PM

I wouldn't worry. I got a similar offer from them a couple days ago. I called them up and they confirmed it was legit. Damn long distance fees %#@&^%#
Old 08-05-2005, 02:15 PM

Got the same standard reply, but a day after or so I got a confirmation back, so it will prolly get there anyway.

It looks legit, itīs just weird that they need your screenname when they have your account and email etc.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:22 PM

Okay, whew. Thanks guys. See you in that tourney, then. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 08-05-2005, 02:46 PM

you guys are goin down in the tourney [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]