Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-17-2005, 06:25 PM

Default ($27) TT in the SB

So far this player seems decent. I almost the raised the flop but then didn't because of my stack size and the pot size.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

UTG (t1715)
UTG+1 (t570)
MP1 (t1440)
MP2 (t2495)
MP3 (t1410)
CO (t1635)
Button (t1315)
Hero (t1450)
BB (t1470)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t135, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t330) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t240</font>, Hero calls t240.

Turn: (t810) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

River: (t810) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks,
Old 09-17-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: ($27) TT in the SB

I like this line, especially the flop call and have been using it myself quite a bit lately.

In this example I think I would lead the turn for 300. If he raises I'm done with the hand.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:48 PM

i checkraise push this flop... any REAL raise pot commits you and you WILL get all of the money from 55-99
Old 09-17-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i checkraise push this flop... any REAL raise pot commits you and you WILL get all of the money from 55-99

[/ QUOTE ]

And overs just fold and AA-JJ break me. And he's decent, I don't think 55 and 66 are in his range. So I get all the money from 77-99, lose it all to AA-JJ, and extract nothing out of overs.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:56 PM

Durron, I agree with your estimate of his range.

However, I think I'm going broke this hand if he has JJ+. I would checkraise the flop to 750, commiting me to the pot but giving him a chance to make an error with his overs. With the rest going in on the turn.

The turn is a bit scary, but only improves his hand if he has AQ, QQ. After he checks the turn you can narrow his hands down to 77-JJ or AK, with AK being most likely in my opinion.

Given all your action I would be reluctant to call more than T240 on the river (his orginal flop bet), so I'm likely folding. It's unlikely he would beat out his 77-JJ here.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Default RESULTS

This hand was one of the toughest spots I've been in in a long time and I spent a lot of time thinking about this hand since. I'm glad everyone else did too.

Alright, so we know that Villian is solid. That means that his raising range here is aces down to AJ, and pairs down to maybe 77? Probably more like 88. I will discount AT because of my hand hand because he is solid.

Ok, we call and the flop comes unders. Now, if I donkbet him he is probably going to stay in with any pair and fold with most overs with the possible exception of AK. However if I check to him he likely will bet with pretty much anything he raised with, so his flop bet doesn't really narrow his range much; I don't know whether he's the type to c-bet yet. So I call to extract more value out of overs that might bet the turn again and because I'm still not sure which pairs he would raise with.

Alright, the Q hits the turn. If he had AQ he is now ahead, if he had QQ he already was ahead. If he has a pair he may be afraid that I called the flop bet with overs. However the only hand he might have that beats me that folds if I bet is JJ, and I might get a fold out of the hands that I have crushed. So I check again, intending to call a bet. He checks behind. This means: he may have QQ, and is now slowplaying his set. He does not have AQ, KK, or AA. He may have a passively played JJ, a smaller pair that is worried that I have a bigger pair or a donkishly played AQ, or AK.

So on the river, the K hits. Now AK is beating me, most hands than I beat are probably afraid of the two overs. The only possible reason to bet here is to try to get JJ to fold.

Which, of course, is what he had, which I found out after he checked behind.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:16 AM

I really don't see the point of calling the PF raise if you're not willing to play the flop aggressively. I mean, are you just playing your TT for set value only? If so, don't even bother calling PF.

Once I call PF like you did, I'm committing myself to playing that flop like it is the holy nuts. C/R his ass, if he has an overpair, so be it.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see the point of calling the PF raise if you're not willing to play the flop aggressively. I mean, are you just playing your TT for set value only? If so, don't even bother calling PF.

Once I call PF like you did, I'm committing myself to playing that flop like it is the holy nuts. C/R his ass, if he has an overpair, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be results oriented, but I lost this hand to an over pair and ended up coming in second to Villian's third. I would have won the whole thing if not for some very unfortunate happenings HU. AA vs. A3 on an Axx board for example.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:29 AM

I guess my point is this: Did you have a plan for when you called PF? If I call in that spot, I know that I am going to most likely be playing TT heads up. If the flop comes all unders, I'm going to play it very aggressively. If I'm not comfortable doing that, I might as well be calling with 22, you know? Put another way, if I'm not willing to go broke (with your stack size) on a 2-3-4 flop, I might as well not even bother calling the raise in the first place, cuz nobody is going to push me off my hand on that flop.

I don't know if it's right, but if I had decided to call his PF raise, I would have C/R'd all-in on that flop and gone broke.