Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Broad cross-section marches againt war

That's how it was in San Diego today, and apparently in much of the world:

The demonstrators seemed like a cross-section of modern British society. There were entire families-fathers and mothers with small children in tow-and elderly people moving slowly but deliberately on their own. Some wore costumes and some were in jeans. There were veteran activists and people who said they had never been on a march before in their lives.

Full article

I was heartened to see similarly wide support here. If by some chance world opinion, as expressed by such marches and the stances of France, Germany, Russia, and others helps prevent this war for the time being, I hope it will lead to much more investment in and investigation of alternative (non-war) methods of resolving the current situation. I've been appalled by the neglect of such methods to date.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Broad cross-section marches againt war

You wrote "I've been appalled by the neglect of such methods to date." Well I suppose there is little need to invest in your book John. Just can't justify the expense with opinions like these in your post above.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:53 PM

There ya go Jimbo, I bet you've really hurt his feelings now. That'll teach him. Last time he thinks differently than you!
Old 02-15-2003, 10:18 PM

Clarkmeister I appreciate your wit. I had no intention on hurting anyones feelings, just utilizing my freedom of choice to donate my money to a wino rather than purchase his book. I served my country in order that John was able to not only think differently than I but so that he was able to freely express himself. What have you done lately in that regard? Checkraise a 4/8 player wirh the nuts?

Old 02-16-2003, 02:20 AM

What have you done lately in that regard? Checkraise a 4/8 player wirh the nuts?

With all due respect I think this is unfair, Jimbo. I've been in the military too, maybe even served in the same place as you.

I don't believe the hundreds of thousands of anti-war protesters back home at the time served the United States of America with any less distinction than you or I.

Billy
Old 02-16-2003, 05:34 AM

You have that freedom. Others have served their country so that dissent against dictatorial edicts is permitted. Only in America could a man that dodged the draft, and deserted the National guard would be the commander in chief urging Americans to aggressively invade a 3rd rate power. Of course that commander has a familial interest in the 1/8th percentage of developed oil resources that the 3rd rate power represents.

If the Pentagon Papers have taught us anything, it is that the Government will lie to the people to support corporate welfare.

If the Church Committee's findings have taught us anything, it is that the US intelligence community will deceive, and at times kill, Americans that seek to expose fraudulent "incidents" which it caused to gather support for economic wars which kill millions.

Still playing illegal online poker, Jimbo?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:00 PM

" What have you done lately in that regard?"

Nothing. But that doesn't mean I can't point out that the tone your response to John struck me as being beneath you.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:39 PM

"Nothing. But that doesn't mean I can't point out that the tone your response to John struck me as being beneath you. Fair enough Clarkmeister, and perhaps I was too harsh on you. It simply struck me as odd that you were criticizing my right to withhold my funds from someone with whom I disagreed with their political views. I also surmised that if John had been "just another poster" that you would have said nothing at all. I hardly think he needed you to come to his defense. Why don't you buy a 2nd copy of his book so that I will not have harmed his bottom line? Then perhaps we will both feel better! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

On another subject you asked MMMMMM about his son being killed in Iraq. That is the primary objection I have to the protestors. At least during the Vietnam era a majority of the protestors were at risk of being drafted and forced to serve their country. As far as I know todays Armed Forces are all volunteer and could have at least expected the possibility of war. If all the peace protestors would have donated their time to help underprivileged children in their respective countries this weekend they would have at least accomplished a worthy goal. In reality all they have done is cost the taxpayers money and made themselves "feel good". Historically it has been shown that a war can be ended by marching in the streets but highly unlikely it will be successful in the prevention of one.

Old 02-15-2003, 08:09 PM

There isn't much in John's book about Iraq. It does, however, presume the reader's ability to cultivate certain mental habits, abilities if you will, that (as far as I can tell) you assiduously avoid. So you should probably save your dough for this reason.

But you're welcome in my game.

Old 02-15-2003, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the invitation Chris. When do we play? Will other intelligent bigots be joining us as well?