Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2002, 10:07 PM

Default Rounders vs. Cincinnati Kid

After watching the Cincinnati Kid (for about the 12th time) last night, I said to myself, sure would be cool if they did a remake of this movie kind of like The Hustler was remade by Tom Cruise and Newman. Than I thought for a minute...maybe they already did...Rounders.

Think about it all the characters match up with each other.

Mikey Mcderrmet - The Kid

Gretchen Mols' Character - Tuesday Weld --Both characters were the girlfriend and left when they didn't get the attention they thought they deserved.

Worm - Shooter --Both tried to convince the main charcter to cheat using his mechanics. Both times the main character said they could win straight up. Although Shooter wasn't nearly the scumbag that worm was.

Famke Janssen Character - Ann-Margrets Character --Both girls made passes at the main character and were somewhat rejected. (Yes I know the kid tagged Ann-Margaret, but he still rejected her)

Mother -- Rip Torn's Character, both Worm and the Shooter owed money to these guys, both were also scumbags. Rip Torn had a thug who worked for him, Mother was the Thug.

Professor Lansky --, I'm not really sure who his charcter equivelant was in Cincinnati Kid??

John Turturro --, maybe his equivelant was the shoe shine boy, but nothing pops out to why???

KGB -- Lansy, both were the poker players who could not be beat. The main characters both had the show down at the end with these two characters.

I know that in one movie the hero wins and in the other he loses, but hey in the 2001 version of Ocean's 11 they get away with the money unlike the 60's version when it accidently gets burned. And in Oceans 11 almost all the characters were different? Go figure...
Old 02-18-2002, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Rounders vs. Cincinnati Kid

Just a nit...when Newman and Cruise "redid" the hustler, as "The color of money", it was the sequel. In both, Newman was "Fast Eddie Felson". Only now, he was older and wiser. They were both screen adaptations of a book by an author whose name escapes me at the moment.

End of nit.

Josh
Old 02-18-2002, 02:13 PM

Walter Tevis I think. The Hustler was a much better screen adaptation and a worse book. The Color of Money was a pretty good book and a bad movie. They invented Tom Cruise's character just to have a young big name actor in it I think. My favorite character was the minor one played by Keith McCready. You L.A. guys should have heard some stories about McCready.:-)
Old 02-18-2002, 05:07 PM

Default and played against him at hardtimes *NM*

Old 02-18-2002, 05:48 PM

Default Re: I want

details. If you can play with him even with a big spot you are too strong for me. I heard he sometimes slept under the tables at hardtimes.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:42 PM

McCready is an actual pro pool player. or at least he was back in my hustling days.

pat
Old 02-18-2002, 11:52 PM

Default Let\'s here some of his stories! *NM*