Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 03:29 AM

Default NL200 raise on the turn or try and trap?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

BB ($78)
Hero ($228.55)
Button ($98.25)
SB ($193.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Button calls $6, SB calls $5, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($24) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($24) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, SB folds, BB calls $6, Hero calls $6.

River: ($48) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: $48

Guy to my left will not fold to any of my raises pre flop or on the flop. Plays 42, Jack 4 and lots of other things. So I figured I'd hopefully set him up if the board paired or if 1 of the many straight cards hit. Thinking back he doesn't fold to a lot of raises but this one I thought he might if he just had a pair because it's such a scary board. Suggestions?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: NL200 raise on the turn or try and trap?

Please bet the flop
Old 12-30-2005, 03:37 AM

I like the flop check but the turn "call" of the min bet is awful.

Then when betting is reopened, smooth calling again is bad.

Why?

The key is in order to have a big pot (when you want one) you need a big hand (check-the nuts w/ a str8flush draw qualifies) and you need to build that pot by betting, raising, checkraising, etc. Calling does not fit into the big pot mold.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 AM

You have to get some money in at some point during the hand. Bet the flop, raise the turn and for god sakes bet the river. If they cant call you on the river at least you arent giving them any information on how you play.

Edit: I agree the flop check isnt horrible and either way isnt that bad but I think you need to be firing on that turn.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 AM

So given your theory of big pots.. why do you like a flop check?

I find myself itching with anticipation to bet this flop
Old 12-30-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So given your theory of big pots.. why do you like a flop check?

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont have a big "hand" yet ;p

Really though I check the nut flush draw alot last or 2nd last to act. The reason is my opponents think I will always bet a flushdraw, (or most anything really) so when I hit I get excessive action. So, you could say I'm disguising my hand in advance [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It's not to say I dont think this flop should be bet, only I would check this alot.

[ QUOTE ]

I find myself itching with anticipation to bet this flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...

*About first part, the key note though is when you do hit, you need to push your hand hard. That is where I think the OP made an error.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:55 AM

I was hoping for a check raise on the flop, then changed my mind on the turn for some reason when he reraised, I still don't know why. I'm usually a very good trapper and this is the best part of my game but I think it got a little to dumb in this hand. As I said I was hoping for a straight card to hit so I could hopefully get them both all in. I know I [censored] this one up but just want some opinions about exactly how to play it. I really thought he was going to bet the river as well though and I didn't want to shut him off a bluff by betting.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:59 AM

I was hoping someone hit this board hard on the flop as well so I didn't want to be check raised. By me not betting the flush draw I figure they wouldn't put me on one if it hit. Lotta people in the hand and a lot of dangerous cards there ..
Old 12-30-2005, 05:15 AM

Bet the flop. You can't count on the only person behind you to bet this flop. You say he calls alot of hands, you didn't say he bet alot of hands. If he's calling with practically any 2 then that means most of the time the flop won't hit him hard.

Raise the turn min bet and if he calls alot I would reraise his raise after he raised the minbet having not raised already.

Bet the river, again you said he calls but didn't mention if he bets and if he has no spades he's not betting the river because more likely u or bb have the nut flush, you gotta try to get value somewhere off your hand.