Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 06:24 PM

Default all streets open for debate

early in a party poker $50 buy-in MTT.
i had about 1400 chips, villain had about 1500, blinds at 15/30. on the hand right before this, villain made a series of min-raises with the nuts. villain is tight over 30 hands.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
3 folds, Hero raises to 90, 1 fold, CO raises to 170, 3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot is 385)
Hero bets 200, CO raises to 400, Hero calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (pot is 1185)
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot is 1185)
Hero goes all-in...

i was looking for a call from AK, but in retrospect the action makes me think KK, maybe JJ looking for a showdown which is unlikely to pay off an all-in.

i think all streets are iffy. anyone fold or limp preflop?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: all streets open for debate

i fold PF to the RR (i probably fold right out but i could see myself raising here initially). I check/fold the flop.

On the turn, I definetly lead out here. t250 or so, try to get him to come over the top. i shove the rest in on the river.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:41 PM

I think I limp preflop, hoping to see a free flop to hit a flush draw. I immediately fold to the preflop re-raise. If there is a raise I think I lay it down. A9 offsuit is an awful hand that will only get you in trouble. It's suited but that will only produce a flush 3.5% more of the time than A9 offsuit.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:43 PM

By the way villain's hand ranges to me are AA, AK, QQ, JJ AQ, AJ, KK. The way he minraised you on the flop looks like he has AK and is inviting action to a point, but also is somewhat leery of the potential AQ.

You hit your miracle card on the turn so I like the river push, though you could still be behind.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:08 PM

I don't mind the call pf after the raise...

On the flop, any problem with playing this way ahead/way behind unless you improve? (i.e. like on the turn there?)
Old 12-22-2005, 09:25 PM

Default results

i get knocked out by a set of queens.
i really like his turn check to trap me. is that a pretty standard play?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
i get knocked out by a set of queens.
i really like his turn check to trap me. is that a pretty standard play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it. It was effective because it got you to stick it all in on the end. You really should learn the lesson of folding A9 unless its been folded to you in the cutoff/button and the blinds are weak/tight.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: results

i am very green at NLHE. A9s is an autoraise from MP2 in limit, but not here? what is your hand range for open raising MP2?
i was under the impression that if you are a competant player, you can in fact play even looser preflop than in limit (a la Gus), as long as the pot has not been opened.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
early in a party poker $50 buy-in MTT.
i had about 1400 chips, villain had about 1500, blinds at 15/30. on the hand right before this, villain made a series of min-raises with the nuts. villain is tight over 30 hands.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
3 folds, Hero raises to 90, 1 fold, CO raises to 170, 3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot is 385)
Hero bets 200, CO raises to 400, Hero calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (pot is 1185)
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot is 1185)
Hero goes all-in...

i was looking for a call from AK, but in retrospect the action makes me think KK, maybe JJ looking for a showdown which is unlikely to pay off an all-in.

i think all streets are iffy. anyone fold or limp preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

limp preflop but since u raised and getting 3 to 1 on ur call, call his raise. check call his flop bet. check raise his turn bet.