Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Trip Report: The Poker Room - Jacksonville, FL

I'm down in Jax from NY for a week-long vacation and I heard about The Poker Room, which is only about 20 minutes from where I'm staying. I figured I'd give it a shot.

First off, I was well aware that laws in FL meant that poker was going to be a little different down here. The maximum bet allowed is $2, so that means that card rooms can't spread NL cash games; nor are there limit games above 1/2. The rooms can and do run tournaments, both MTT and SnG, but the juice tends to be ridiculous -- mostly in the 30% range.

It's worth noting here, too, that the rake on the limit games is super-steep. They take 10% up to $5. Additionally, the typical dealer tip is $1 a pot, so in a 10BB pot you're losing 15% in rake/tip. Of course, I don't think you go sit down at the 1/2 table because you think it's long-term beneficial to your bankroll. You sit down at the 1/2 table because you've come to the poker room to get a break from your in-laws. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Anyway, since I have been focused on my limit game the last few months, it was the 1/2 table for me.

The Poker Room is located on the second floor of the local greyhound track. I don't know how new the room is, but it seems to be very well maintained. The tables all seemed new, as did the carpeting in the room. There were a number of large TVs around the room, some covering the dog racing and others on ESPN or the like. The restroom was sizable and very clean.

The dealers were fine. A couple were as good as the dealers I had in AC, a couple were weaker (lots of exposed cards when dealing, laying out four cards for the flop, etc.) All the dealers did a good job of keeping track of the action, announcing the number of players in, etc.

The level of play was absolutely horrid. I was expecting a lot of loose/passive play and I was not disappointed. Our table -- which was full most of the time -- was getting 6-8 to the flop most hands. Most showdowns were 3-4 handed. Guys were playing Q2o, 72s, etc., etc. No one paid any attention to position, board coordination, anything. One guy (who, it should be noted, seemed to have an unending supply of luck) kept raising with ATC.

While I know some folks find play like this frustrating, I personally love it and, at least on line, have most certainly found it +EV. Last night, alas, I was not so lucky.

I had some very decent starting cards: I saw AKo about 3 times. I had a pair of 8s, a pair of 2s, and KJs each once. I had AJo once, AQo once and a couple suited aces. Since I only played for about 90 minutes, not a bad run at all.

My problem was that except for ONE hand, NONE of my pocket cards improved. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] My pairs -- well, I did only have pairs twice -- didn't hit trips. My overs never, ever connected with the board and I didn't even get lucky and pick up a pair when I checked from the BB. I went to showdown three or four times and it was never with the best hand.

Final tally: I didn't win a single pot and got up after I lost my initial $50 buy-in.

That said, I liked the room and I liked the action. You'll never, ever get rich playing 1/2, but The Poker Room is a really pleasant playing environment and I would certainly go back to have some fun. I also do feel like the game is most certainly beatable -- assuming you can get the flop to hit you. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]