Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-18-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Why is PL Omaha not NL?

Anyone?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Why is PL Omaha not NL?

It's a horrible game. It reduces the skill factor and shoots the luck factor through the roof. There is no "play" in NLO.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:46 PM

Because the hand begins at the flop.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 AM

because then a play of chasing/betting everything than hoping you suck out and then hoping your opponent has to call a river bet wouldn't be an actual strategy. Or doing the same thing regardless if you had a hand or not and hoping they call when you got there and fold when they didn't. High variance wackos...
Old 12-20-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the hand begins at the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only reason for NL is to easily get it all in before the Flop. This is retarded and pointless in omaha because the flop COMPLETELY defines the strengh of your hand. starting hands are still important, but great starting hands that miss the flop are much worse in omaha than in holdem, where strong starting cards can get you alot further with no help, hence the +ev gained from going all in preflop in NLHE, much less ev doing similiar things in omaha
Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM

[quote

the only reason for NL is to easily get it all in before the Flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a ridiculous thing to say. Go watch NLHE played at any level and tell me how often all the money goes in preflop. Or think for just a second about how infrequently the pot size will be large enough in Omaha for it to make sense for AAxx to push preflop.

I think the real reason Omaha is primarily played PL rather than NL is that in Omaha, much more so than holdem:

1. there are large equity swings (in terms of your hand v. your opponent(s) range of hands) from the flop to the turn

2. The turn and river will bring legitimate scare cards to anyone without the nuts.

Both these things make a game where are forced to play all three post-flop streets the better choice. This is also the reason why a true deep-stack PLO game is better than a capped buyin game.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:09 PM

At first I didn't get it, but I think I get it now. It makes it easier to just push the flop, and less play on the turn and river. Lol... if that's what it is... people play like that kinda anyway. =]
Old 12-20-2005, 03:12 AM

There are some NL omaha games at times (once in awhile on prima there's a low stakes one). It ends up being more of a mathematical game and you can easily get your aces in before the flop against somebody who has no idea what they're doing. It's also a heck of a lot easier to protect a hand. In PLO you have to build the pot then figure out what the opponents are chasing/doing on the river. I couldn't raise every (or 90+% of them) hand like a lot of people do. I just can't raise a hand like 6664 or even play the darn thing lol. When they do that I nut peddle a little too much but I know I can really hurt them in a big pot because they think they can easily run me over.

I've noticed at small/mid stakes it really doesn't change that much though. Just makes the pot/implied odds different for some players who will just move allin. I usually end up firing close to a pot size bet anyway.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:49 PM

NLO can be found on the Prima Network. You can play there and find out for yourself.

I personally think skill remains a significant factor. There is a reason I clear all my Prima bonii there, and why my winrate remains over 15BB/100.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:50 PM

An answer to this question should be added to the FAQ.