Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 05:52 PM

Default A potentially bad blind date setup

The fiance of one of my good friends wants to set me up with her a friend of her sister. Being the shallow prick that I am I looked on Friendster and found her profile. Her photos were less-than appealing. Further complicating matters is the fact that I'm not drinking for a little while, so my standards will be a bit higher than usual.

How should I handle this situation? I'm leaning towards sucking it up and meeting up for coffee, perhaps to be pleasantly surprised but more than likely just to get it out of the way to keep things smooth.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: A potentially bad blind date setup

Meet and get it over with.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:54 PM

Is it really important to you to keep your relationship with your friend's fiance smooth as glass? How much will saying, "No, I'd rather not do any blind dates right now," really affect that relationship?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Further complicating matters is the fact that I'm not drinking for a little while, so my standards will be a bit higher than usual

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily the best part of this post. How long is "a little while"? Perhaps you could put off the meeting?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:56 PM

As a rule you should always stay away from blind dates organized by your buddy's woman. If the buddy himself was the one doing the setting up I'd be less worried, but more often than not the buddy's fiancee won't know what you are looking for etc. and it ends up being a bad match. That being said, why not go the coffee or lunch route. At worst you'll have wasted 45 minutes of your time and you might have a good story. At best she's the woman of your dreams.

Swede
Old 11-21-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really important to you to keep your relationship with your friend's fiance smooth as glass? How much will saying, "No, I'd rather not do any blind dates right now," really affect that relationship?

[/ QUOTE ]
At this point I'm trying to do less lying to people I care about in my life. (This is a relatively recent development for me.) I am in fact interested in blind dates right now. I do care about my relationship with my friend's fiance, and it's a nice gesture of her to set me up on a date, so I'm leaning towards just doing it.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:01 PM

Well, at least you admit you're shallow. Anyways, just say that you're not really interested in a blind date right now because "things always seem to go bad when I go on blind dates." That should be enough. It'll backfire when your friend's fiancee wants to hook you up with a hottie, then remembers your blind date comments, but that's the chance you're going to have to take.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a rule you should always stay away from blind dates organized by your buddy's woman.

[/ QUOTE ]
So true, although I do have one female friend who told me that a friend of hers wasn't my type, and when I asked why, she said "Because she's fat." Now that's a good friend.

Anyway I think the rest of your advice and analysis is spot on.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Further complicating matters is the fact that I'm not drinking for a little while

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, enough of this. Unless you're on some kind of medication, I don't want to hear this anymore.

As for the date, I would just tell whoever necessary (either your friend or his fiance) that this girl isn't your type. I would do it diplomatically, but I don't see this as too awkward.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:07 PM

The Friendster Pic Rule: Score on Friendster - 2 = Score in Real Life

Example: If she's a 6 on Friendster, she's a 4 in real life. Get out while you still can.

When you're in Los Angeles, you'll see so much hot box you'll never want to date a New York 7 or below ever again.