Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Fun for the whole family. KK.

I'm wrapping up my session for the day and have my wife take over playing 15/30. She has really only played 2/4 and doesn't have a lot of confidence, so these are scary stakes for her. Sure enough, she's promptly faced with some tough decisions. Or are they?

Her first hand she picks up KK UTG.

She raises. There's a EP cold call, an MP 3-bet, and a button cap back to her. Fun. I'm in the shower and she's considering screaming for me to come back out, but she decides to play it out herself. She calls (Yes!).

4 ways to the flop for 17 SB.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Action! She checks (1). The preflop button capper bets, and she check-raises (2). EP caller folds, MP 3-bettor calls, button folds (wtf?!).

heads up to the turn for 11 BB:

[A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

She bets (3). MP 3-bettor raises, she calls (4).

River, HU for 15 BB:

[A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Gin! She bets (5) planning to cap, of course.

So, five decisions in this hand. Which ones were good? Which ones were not so good? Which ones were close?

Thanks,
Eric and Chrissy
Old 10-24-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Fun for the whole family. KK.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wrapping up my session for the day and have my wife take over playing 15/30. She has really only played 2/4 and doesn't have a lot of confidence, so these are scary stakes for her. Sure enough, she's promptly faced with some tough decisions. Or are they?

Her first hand she picks up KK UTG.

She raises. There's a EP cold call, an MP 3-bet, and a button cap back to her. Fun. I'm in the shower and she's considering screaming for me to come back out, but she decides to play it out herself. She calls (Yes!).

4 ways to the flop for 17 SB.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Action! She checks (1). The preflop button capper bets, and she check-raises (2). EP caller folds, MP 3-bettor calls, button folds (wtf?!).

heads up to the turn for 11 BB:

[A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

She bets (3). MP 3-bettor raises, she calls (4).

River, HU for 15 BB:

[A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Gin! She bets (5) planning to cap, of course.

So, five decisions in this hand. Which ones were good? Which ones were not so good? Which ones were close?

Thanks,
Eric and Chrissy

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she did good. Maybe you should let her play for you more often. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 07:50 PM

Every street is perfect. The one close one is the flop, but I like her play.
-James
Old 10-24-2005, 08:06 PM

1 and 2) Good. She has a set, but this board is scary as hell. Use the pf-4 bettor to try to push out the guys in the middle. (Especially the PF EP cold caller since he is the most likely to have a draw)

3) This is the toughest decision in the hand, imo. I lean toward a bet, but I think a strong argument can be made for checking. Some reads would help here.

4) Clearly correct unless MP is such a nit that he could only have AA. Unless MP is a lag, she needs to boat up, hit a Q for a split, or hit quads on the river though.

5) Close. I'd lean toward a bet. This card is going to be pretty scary for a thinking player. I'd bet against weaker opponents who will go crazy with JJ/QQ/AQ here and cr tougher players. I think this maximizes when a tough player has one of the hands above, and they will likely go to war with AA with either line.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:38 AM

I agree with your analysis completely. At least, I did when Chrissy recapped this hand to me and I had only thought about it a few seconds. The turn looked ugly but I liked the bet / call line, and my first instinct was to check-raise the river.

After a little more thought though, I decided that check-call is best on the turn, and betting the river is mandatory and not close. Here's how:

hand range for the typical 3-bettor: AA-TT, AK-AQ, maybe AJ, maybe KQs, outside shot at lower pocket pair.

Now, after he sees the action flop of AKJ and only checks and calls, it sure doesn't look like he has hit the flop super hard. In fact, he's played his hand like he's on some kind of pair + straight draw, right? So I'd say his hand range looks like this:

AQ, QQ, maybe KQs, TT all full value

AA, AK, JJ significantly discounted due to his passivity on the flop.

Since I hold KK, the combinations are interesting and revealing:

AQ - 12
QQ - 6
TT - 6

AA - 3
AK - 3
JJ - 3

In other words, most of his draws are draws containing a Q hoping for a T, and even if we give hands like AA and JJ full weight, he's a favorite to make a straight if the turn is a ten!

So, when the ten hits, and his hand range is so full of queens, I think checking and calling may be best. It's important to note that we may still get a bet in with the best hand, as he might bet, say, TT if we check, and that it's highly unlikely we can make anything fold that is going to draw out.

Ok, so on to the river. We've perhaps tripped up a bit by betting the turn, and he's confirmed our fears by raising a Q. But we just called the turn, so he can virtually know with certainty that we do not have a Q. What does he put us on? Something like:

AA, KK, JJ, TT, AK right? Well, every one of these hands just drew out. If we check, he should easily check behind. In fact, if we bet, he can practically fold! Really, what can he beat?

So, check/call the turn, bet the river. Checking the turn is close, betting the river is mandatory.

our 2 cents.
E & C
Old 10-25-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with your analysis completely. At least, I did when Chrissy recapped this hand to me and I had only thought about it a few seconds. The turn looked ugly but I liked the bet / call line, and my first instinct was to check-raise the river.

After a little more thought though, I decided that check-call is best on the turn, and betting the river is mandatory and not close. Here's how:

hand range for the typical 3-bettor: AA-TT, AK-AQ, maybe AJ, maybe KQs, outside shot at lower pocket pair.

Now, after he sees the action flop of AKJ and only checks and calls, it sure doesn't look like he has hit the flop super hard. In fact, he's played his hand like he's on some kind of pair + straight draw, right? So I'd say his hand range looks like this:

AQ, QQ, maybe KQs, TT all full value

AA, AK, JJ significantly discounted due to his passivity on the flop.

Since I hold KK, the combinations are interesting and revealing:

AQ - 12
QQ - 6
TT - 6

AA - 3
AK - 3
JJ - 3

In other words, most of his draws are draws containing a Q hoping for a T, and even if we give hands like AA and JJ full weight, he's a favorite to make a straight if the turn is a ten!

So, when the ten hits, and his hand range is so full of queens, I think checking and calling may be best. It's important to note that we may still get a bet in with the best hand, as he might bet, say, TT if we check, and that it's highly unlikely we can make anything fold that is going to draw out.

Ok, so on to the river. We've perhaps tripped up a bit by betting the turn, and he's confirmed our fears by raising a Q. But we just called the turn, so he can virtually know with certainty that we do not have a Q. What does he put us on? Something like:

AA, KK, JJ, TT, AK right? Well, every one of these hands just drew out. If we check, he should easily check behind. In fact, if we bet, he can practically fold! Really, what can he beat?

So, check/call the turn, bet the river. Checking the turn is close, betting the river is mandatory.

our 2 cents.
E & C

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with everything you wrote, sound analysis on every street, but Im still gonna checkraise this river against many opponents but not against strong players that are aware of what just happened and not against weak tight players that will check behind becuz they no longer have the nuts, but I do believe that the average nonthinking player will bet this river if the hero checks it, so checkraising this river is right in that situation.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

i prefer a bet on the flop.

Barron
Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 AM

I dont like the turn lead. the rest I like.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this just a preference or do you think it is the higher EV play? why?