Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Q-8o in the Big Blind (Yeah, I played it for a raise)

40-80. My big blind. There are two late position posters who are weak-tight passive players. UTG, who plays too loose pre-flop but very well post-, raises, there's a cold call by an unknown player, the two posters call, unknown button cold calls, small blind calls. Small blind plays too many hands and plays them way too aggressively. I have Q-8o and, forgetting everything Tommy has taught me, I call. Seventeen of us, Commerce style, to the flop for two bets each.

Flop is 8-4-4 rainbow. Small blind checks and I bet. UTG calls, two others call, the rest fold to the small blind who raises. I 3-bet. UTG and the two other callers fold (!) and the small blind calls. Just two of us now.

Turn is a Q, completing the rainbow. Check-check.

River is a blank. He checks, I bet.

Rife with mistakes?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Q-8o in the Big Blind (Yeah, I played it for a raise)

Well Played!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:59 PM

Why not bet the turn?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:03 PM

preflop: remember the lessons of tommy, but you know that.

flop: very nice, get those overs out.

turn: i dont get it...you said the sb "plays too many hands and plays them too aggressively" meaning you can safely bet AND call a c'r and river bet and expet to win a great deal of the time. the only reason to check is you fear the 4 or he gives up on a bluff (latter seems very unlikely imo), or to entice him to fcall on the river when he woulda folded w/ a hand that has few outs to you (56o etc...) and thus you give him his little equity in return for a full bet that he puts out when he hits and misses (assuming he does this). so i think the turn is a clear bet and call a c'r given description of sb.

river: no brainer

Barron
Old 08-01-2005, 05:17 PM

You missed a very easy value bet on the turn here. If he has 55, 66, or 77, you had him on the flop. If he had 99, TT, or JJ, you now have him beat. If he had A better 8, you're now ahead, if he had a worse 8, your still ahead. If he had QQ, KK, or AA, he would have 3 bet preflop, so these are highly unlikely. You are beat only by something like A4 suited, which he has probably less then 10% of the time given the action here, as the 3 bet would be unlikely on the flop with a hand this strong. Other then the turn and preflop, everything else seems fine.

Gabe
Old 08-01-2005, 05:25 PM

Definite turn bet for me. If he has any 8, you just blew him out of the water. Most would get greedy here and wait for the turn to sandbag the 4 (even though that's not always correct). I say bet it on the turn and the end. The river is obv a gimme when he checks twice.

Jeff
Old 08-02-2005, 02:26 AM

"Small blind plays too many hands and plays them way too aggressively."

not betting the turn here is scared strange poker. the pot is big. it's a disaster to give a free card here. if he checkraises you on the turn with A4 then so be it, 3 big bets is just the right amount of bets (concept courtesy of JA sucker) to put in when beat when you have top two on that board against that player in that size pot. other argument for checking the turn is you hope to induce a river bluff but that all goes out the window in a pot that size where you dont dare let even a two outer (let alone an overcard!) see the river for free.

that's the only street i can fault. you played the flop really well andy.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:59 PM

He wasn't a clueless player. What do you put him on when he check-raises the crowd that I bet into on the flop? What do you think he puts me on when I then 3-bet?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:21 PM

"What do you put him on when he check-raises the crowd that I bet into on the flop? What do you think he puts me on when I then 3-bet?"

who cares. you have top two and the pot is really big. if he has you beat than it's going to cost you 3 bbs and you should gladly pay it. but you CANNOT check the turn here.