Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: running bad!!

My thoughts after reading what you guys wrote:

With the K8s, I probably shouldn't be 3-betting the turn. But if I do, I shouldn't pay off on the river after he caps it. That's clearer now!

With the JT, a couple of people say I overplayed it and didn't read his hand right. If you were there, you would think he had AQ or 99 though, right? No guarantee that I'm beat, is there? I don't know...

With the AA a couple of you say I slowplayed it. I'm surprised noone picked up on that I was just calling down because it looks like he may have KK. But what do you do on the river when he checks it? Check behind? Not really a slowplay.

With the KJ, a couple of you are reading it like I shouldn't have thought my K-high straight was good on the river because he raised the turn. I thought the point of contention was going to be whether I should check-call the turn or bet it (but I guess not!). I thought he could have KTs, KQ, TT, and a bunch of other things that don't beat the K-high straight. The only way I could have overplayed it, we would have capped the river (I think).

One of the AK was possibly ok, another was probably overplayed.

The AJs was clearly overplayed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I think I'll post some more hands tomorrow. More comments please though!
Old 05-27-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With the AA a couple of you say I slowplayed it. I'm surprised noone picked up on that I was just calling down because it looks like he may have KK. But what do you do on the river when he checks it? Check behind? Not really a slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you weren't slowplaying here, your thinking was even worse. A typical UTG (you give no reads) will cap JJ+ and AK. If you have a tighter read, you may limit this further. Mathematically, you are way ahead of his range of hands, with AK being the most likely hand. You have to raise the flop. If he 3-bets you, you apply a read: specifically, if he might play AK this way you have to cap (if he won't, you can usually fold the turn UI, though I favor capping). If UTG leads you on the turn after the cap, you CAN usually fold. If UTG doesn't lead, but raises you at any point, you can fold. Establish the value of your hand on the flop, so that by the turn you can put your opponent on a hand or useful range of hands with some confidence. Then play accordingly.

In the KJ hand you were railroaded. You played fine (you can checkraise the river here vs. most players) and ran into a fairly improbable hand. Happens.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:24 AM

Now I can see why you're losing.

I didn't look at all the hands, but all I can say is you're spewing in the first hand. Just call down the checkraise
Old 05-27-2005, 03:04 AM

You have no idea of the meaning of running bad.

-SmileyEH
Old 05-27-2005, 03:25 AM

from looking at those posts it just looks like you're a player who has enough understanding to beat low limit games but you still have a ton of leaks in your lines and a bunch of hands that showcased that fact happened to occur in a short time.

analyze those hands yourself, i can find lost bets and -EV plays in almost every one.

leading into that river with JT when the flush card comes and you've been 3-bet, what does that accomplish? trip queens isnt putting you on a flush draw, but might get nervous and just call, but anybody that 3-bets the turn is betting the river. everything that you're losing to is raising and now it's costing you 2 bets to showdown on a board that doesnt look very straight friendly anymore.

that's just one example.