Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 03:04 PM

Default Aug 6 1945

My grandfather fought in several battles in the pacific theatre. Luckily his division jumped over Tarawa but he was there for many Marshall Island battles and he was there from Day 1 for the Battle of Okinawa. Somehow he survived.

He never talked about it much but sometimes if he had enough drinks you could get some stories from him.

He once told me that after the bombs he was stationed in Hiroshima, he was part of the first wave of occupying soldiers there. I asked him about his impressions of the city.

He told me he got there expecting the worst and that he wasn't very impressed. He was shocked. What was all the fuss? There were still buildings standing, people walking around, the surrounding landscape was recognizable.

He said, "when we left Okinawa there wasn't a single tree or building left standing. We started on one end of the island and we burned and bombed everything in our path until we got to the other side. It took us three weeks to do it but the devastation was FAR worse than anything the bomb could ever do".

I've never forgotten that sobering observation from my grandfather.

natedogg
Old 12-27-2004, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Aug 6 1945

YUP.....

This is why the USA was forced to nuke Japan.....Always seemed pretty obvious to me. Saved million of lives both Americans and Japanese.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:38 AM

It was not necessary to nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The Japanese had offered to surrender several times before the first bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. All they asked was that their emperor be allowed to remain in power.

FDR was against this, because he wanted an "unconditional" surrender. When it was all over, and the United States had murdered tens of thousands of Japanese civilians, they allowed the emperor to stay anyway.

Most of the top U.S. military brass were disgusted with FDR's decision:

http://www.doug-long.com/quotes.htm

Dwight Eisenhower:

...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."

- Dwight Eisenhower, Mandate For Change, pg. 380

In a Newsweek interview, Eisenhower again recalled the meeting with Stimson:

"...the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."

- Ike on Ike, Newsweek, 11/11/63

Admiral Leahy:

"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

"The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

- William Leahy, I Was There, pg. 441.

Herbert Hoover:

On May 28, 1945, Hoover visited President Truman and suggested a way to end the Pacific war quickly: "I am convinced that if you, as President, will make a shortwave broadcast to the people of Japan - tell them they can have their Emperor if they surrender, that it will not mean unconditional surrender except for the militarists - you'll get a peace in Japan - you'll have both wars over."

Richard Norton Smith, An Uncommon Man: The Triumph of Herbert Hoover, pg. 347.
-------------------------------------------

Don't always trust what you hear in high school. A lot of it is garbage that is patently false. This is one of those cases.

The Japanese WERE ready to surrender. The bombing WAS unnecessary.

It's also important to note that the United States was mostly responsible for the escalation of World War II. FDR cut off Japanese exports, demanded that the Japanese withdraw from Manchuria, and ordered Japanese assets in U.S. banks frozen.

Secretary of War Stimson wrote in his diaries that FDR wanted to find a way to get Japan to attack us so that we could enter the war against the Axis powers. He was a clever warmonger.

Of course Japan attacked us after being pushed around by the United States.

I'm not saying the Pearl Harbor attack is completely defensible, but we definitely were not pursuing an isolationist policy in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

Hey... maybe they hated us for our freedoms. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2004, 07:44 AM

Of course Japan attacked us after being pushed around by the United States.

I'm not saying the Pearl Harbor attack is completely defensible, but we definitely were not pursuing an isolationist policy in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

It has finally happened..Those liberals have lost their damn minds.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:30 AM

Newsflash, I'm generally conservative. You saw me criticizing Chomsky in that other thread. Would a liberal do that? You don't have to be a liberal to oppose U.S. intervention in foreign countries. Most of FDR's critics during WWII were Republicans in Congress, although very few criticized him publicly.

I guess that makes them liberals.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:31 AM

NOT IF YU THINK JAPAN HAD ITS HAND FORCED TO START A WAR WITH THE U.S.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:32 AM

I don't think they were justified in attacking Pearl Harbor but Japan was definitely provoked. Just like we provoked Osama by keeping troops stationed in Saudi Arabia and supporting Israel.

I do know that the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were unnecessary.

The Japanese were ready to surrender.

You haven't addressed any of the points I made in my previous posts.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NOT IF YU THINK JAPAN HAD ITS HAND FORCED TO START A WAR WITH THE U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he believed this, your statement is invalid. You can be a conservative and believe this. There is nothing about conservatism that says otherwise.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:38 AM

aNGRY DO YOU FOLLOW ME AROUND IN CYBERSPACE?? IM SERIOUS.

ps on this you are right but.........
Old 12-27-2004, 08:39 AM

Hi Cola.

It really is hard to argue a point with zaxx.

It all comes back to "the United States is always right" when arguing with him.