Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: So, how many girls?
10+ 16 3.98%
9 1 0.25%
8 0 0%
7 1 0.25%
6 3 0.75%
5 6 1.49%
4 13 3.23%
3 28 6.97%
2 52 12.94%
1 111 27.61%
0 171 42.54%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Splitting the MTT Forum

agree with MLG's 4 points. And his conclusion.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:59 AM

for someone who's math has become second hand your spelling sure needs work LOL

Anyway I don't post often enough, I take almost all of my winnings out of my account and prey on low limit MTT fish. I wish I would get my lazy ass out and get a job along while in school but I am a lazy mofo and these low limit MTT's ain't been bad. To all you who play high buy in tourneys, I have a question since you think there is such a difference. How often do you think you cash in a 1700 person tourney whether it is $3 or $300 and can you explain the differences in getting deep between the two? I cash pretty regularly and like I said for reasons above I don't usually play high buy ins. Now I hear excuses every day from fish about suckouts and hear it from "pros" about dodging "landmines" in tournies with huge amounts of entries but I am not buying it. I cash regularly and honestly I think making it through lower buy in tournaments with 1500+ people is much much harder than pulling off a $100 UB Tourney with 300 people, which gives me much respect for people who pull off the big wins in huge $$$ tourneys on a regular basis. I don't think buy in is necessarily the issue and think there is no feasible way to split the forum unless it is sweat forums/strategy forums like earlier posters have said.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll go one step further and say that I'm totally guilty of the elitest practice of scanning only the poster's name before opening the post. It's terrible, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I may chime in, I agree, that is terrible ... and I've been getting very frustrated over this. My last X posts have got a grand total of 1 reply, and thanks to the 1 guy, but that really sucks. I know none of you guys are obligated to post at all, but when you guys say "post hands/theoretical questions so we can analyze them in order to assist in improving your game" then you don't respond to them, well, you know where I'm going with this.

/end rant
Old 12-24-2005, 08:55 AM

Might as well throw my 2 cents into the pile.

I don't post here very often but the information I have picked up from reading other people's post has been priceless. I have been doing very well over the past few months and I attribute much of that sucess to the people and posts I have come across in this forum. So while I'm posting let me add a huge thank you. Generally I don't post a response because by the time I read the OP 2 or 3 people have responded with something close to what I would have said and I don't see anyone benefiting by my being redundant.

I generally look at the title and then open the posts that seem interesting. When I post- anywhere on 2+2- I try and jam as much info as possible into the title. I have found the more specific my title the better the quality of responses.

My conclusion is that there is no natural/logical point where you would be able to split the forum. On the other hand if the forum was split then I would just visit both - after all if I am going to stroll through 100 posts in the quest to find something to read/respond to it doen't really matter if it is 100 post in 1 forum or 50 post in 2 forums.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:52 AM

can I get an Amen? I agree. in my last post (this one ) I had to self-bump to get a past two responses. (Lloyd did). I mean, I don't think it's a HORRIBLE hand, it's mildy interesting, and I've got different lines on it from my playing friends. Heck, I chime in and offer my opinion on hands quite often.

Note my earlier post. I bumped to get it to the front page. Everyone should switch to get 30 posts or so on the front, IMHO.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To all you who play high buy in tourneys, I have a question since you think there is such a difference. How often do you think you cash in a 1700 person tourney whether it is $3 or $300 and can you explain the differences in getting deep between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

Low buyins: Wait for a big hand, play it fast and then double-up or get sucked out on. Double up a few times without getting sucked out on and you're on your way.

High buyins: Much harder to double-up (unless you have <20BB - sometimes hard even then). You have to win numerous small pots each hour rather than nutpeddling your way to one or two big pots per hour.

My ITM % is pretty much inversely proportional to buyin as it should be.

So why do I prefer to play bigger buyins?

1. They're more interesting.

Folding every hand that's not an TPTK or better on the flop really isn't very stimulating.

2. They're more profitable (assuming you are a winning player).

Even if you have incredible results at low buyins you will still profit <10 buyins per event on average (and probably much, much less). Let's say it's 7 buyins. That's $21 profit per 2-3 hours invested for the Stars $3 buyins. It's just not worth it if you have a profit motive.

So, how often do I cash at $3/1700 tourneys vs. $300/1700 tourneys? Who cares! Averaging 1 buyin profit per tourney at the $300 buyin level is obviously far superior to even the most optimistic projections of $3 buyin profitability.

Later,
Che
Old 12-24-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To all you who play high buy in tourneys, I have a question since you think there is such a difference. How often do you think you cash in a 1700 person tourney whether it is $3 or $300 and can you explain the differences in getting deep between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

Low buyins: Wait for a big hand, play it fast and then double-up or get sucked out on. Double up a few times without getting sucked out on and you're on your way.

High buyins: Much harder to double-up (unless you have <20BB - sometimes hard even then). You have to win numerous small pots each hour rather than nutpeddling your way to one or two big pots per hour.

My ITM % is pretty much inversely proportional to buyin as it should be.

So why do I prefer to play bigger buyins?

1. They're more interesting.

Folding every hand that's not an TPTK or better on the flop really isn't very stimulating.

2. They're more profitable (assuming you are a winning player).

Even if you have incredible results at low buyins you will still profit <10 buyins per event on average (and probably much, much less). Let's say it's 7 buyins. That's $21 profit per 2-3 hours invested for the Stars $3 buyins. It's just not worth it if you have a profit motive.

So, how often do I cash at $3/1700 tourneys vs. $300/1700 tourneys? Who cares! Averaging 1 buyin profit per tourney at the $300 buyin level is obviously far superior to even the most optimistic projections of $3 buyin profitability.

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, a good player is better off playing higher. I think 1 buyin per tournament at $300 and 7 buyins per tournament at $3 are pretty optimistic. Maybe you can do that.

Some people multitable small buyin events. They are a little harder to multitable than SNGs or cash games, but it is doable.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:22 PM

I've got an idea. Why don't we start banning people who do stupid things. Give them one warning like "read the FAQ, folding AA PF is covered there". On the second offense ban them for a week. Then a month. Then a year.

I know mods are hesitant and worried about being labeled Nazis, but I mean cmon, we could cut down on a lot of noise if we just banned some people who do stupid things anyway.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:36 PM

Keep in mind, the 'noise' found here is NOTHING compared to other forums, the mods here do a good job finding trollish posts and locking or deleting them immediately. At least most of the noise here is poker related.
~Justin
Old 12-24-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got an idea. Why don't we start banning people who do stupid things. Give them one warning like "read the FAQ, folding AA PF is covered there". On the second offense ban them for a week. Then a month. Then a year.

I know mods are hesitant and worried about being labeled Nazis, but I mean cmon, we could cut down on a lot of noise if we just banned some people who do stupid things anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the people who do that are newbies/fish who don't intend to make stupid posts. Hard to ban them for that.

Maybe automatically put a donkey icon on all their posts so people will be warned.
Closed Thread