Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 10:12 AM

Default Back to 5/10

So I grinded big time the last 2 weeks and got my roll back from 1500 to 2700 doing the bonus haunts and generally playing boat loads of hands. So i'm giving 5/10 another shot. Nothing terribly interesting I definitely feel much more confident of my skill level than last time I played there, I think i've put in 15k more hands since then and spent time reading a few of my new books. Last time I played to agressively and refused to give people credit for made hands and called down too much I think.

My first session ended 15BB my second up 8BB (short sessions) but the game play felt pretty average. The second session was during quiet time at party with only 10k players on and felt like I was seeing much more agressive tricky players than my earlier session so I may just try and stick to playing the peak periods for the time being.

Anyway I thought i'd post 1 hand it was one I thought was pretty standard but I just want to be sure it is even against most LAGs, this player was loose/mildly agro pre but didn't seem too much so postflop. Another thought I had on this hand was to check through the turn, I figure I'm either ahead of nothing and most likely the other player will fold, i'm ahead of a smaller PP and i'll get called down, or i'm being set up for a CR. If i'm ahead there aren't many cards on the river I'm scared of seeing, so perhaps checking through the turn to induce a river bet from the villian is a better line against an aggressive player...?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Button posts a blind of $5.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button (poster) calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Button checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Button checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 5.20 BB, won by Button.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Button.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Button wins 6.20 BB. </font>
Old 10-10-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Back to 5/10

I´m not sure what exactly happened preflop here, but I often check behind on the turn when I´m going to check behind on the river anyway and I´m not sure if I can fold to a CR. This may also gain an extra bet against some of the guys who will fold the turn, but call or bet the river after you have shown weakness.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:56 AM

What's really interesting about this hand is that the Button always acts before the Big Blind. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyhow there is not much he could have to call your turn bet with if he is behind unless he has absolutely no respect for you and as you mentioned if you are ahead there really aren't any cards that could fall on the river that would hurt you.

If you are therefore inclined to invest a big bet on this hand perhaps it should be saved for the river.

If he really is the Button though and actually acting behind you then I doubt he will give you a free card on the turn if he is ahead meaning it will cost 2 big bets no matter how you slice it. In that case betting the turn and folding to a raise as in the game is a cheaper way to get it done. If you check the turn showing weakness he is likely to bet with any 2 cards. His raise is more trustworthy.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:03 PM

Agree, check turn behind if you are prepared to call river but not a turncr. Bet turn if first in and fold if raised and check river behind if he only calls turn.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:49 PM

I'd probably check behind on the turn with the intention of *folding* the river.

I think it's important to "follow through" on a bluff inducement a very high percentage of the time when you do check the turn but I just can't see what he would call the flop with that you beat, except for a pure bluff. I suppose that a gutshot is possible but he's well short of the odds that he needs, especially when it's possible that you'll make a full house. I check the turn hoping to spike a jack or win a free showdown.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:14 PM

It seems like if villain checks again on the river after you've checked behind on the turn, a value-bet is in order to collect from all lower pocket pairs and Q or J high. Don't you think a lot of these sorts of worse hands would be played this way then call the river?
Old 10-10-2004, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It seems like if villain checks again on the river after you've checked behind on the turn, a value-bet is in order to collect from all lower pocket pairs and Q or J high. Don't you think a lot of these sorts of worse hands would be played this way then call the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you probably have a thin value bet. I think you're going to get a fold like 80% of the time that you do bet, but people make absolutely ridiculous calls in this game from time to time, and I don't think the vast majority are tricky enough to check with the intention of inducing a bet from a worse hand.