Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Poker Players as Job Applicants

I just started a new job, and will likely share my love of poker (albeit not online poker) with my colleagues over time, as I did with my last job.

That having been said, I would not avoid hiring a pro poker player per se, but I would certainly NOT see it as a positive. I would see it as a black mark, and would be less likely to hire such a person.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Part-time players: Mention it as a hobby?

On an interview I went on (job: statistician) I mentioned that I played poker online, going on to explain that it truly wasn't "gambling" in the long term and that a statistican that couldn't win at poker really wasn't worth his salt [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Didn't get the job, but am ~100% sure it wasn't due to that. This was a pretty cool, "quirky" company, though, and I figured it was a fine thing to mention.

I'm wondering, though, in general -- if you're applying for a math-oriented job, and are discussing your hobbies with your potential employer -- whether poker would be considered a net plus these days.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Part-time players: Mention it as a hobby?

[ QUOTE ]
On an interview I went on (job: statistician) I mentioned that I played poker online, going on to explain that it truly wasn't "gambling" in the long term and that a statistican that couldn't win at poker really wasn't worth his salt [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Didn't get the job, but am ~100% sure it wasn't due to that. This was a pretty cool, "quirky" company, though, and I figured it was a fine thing to mention.

I'm wondering, though, in general -- if you're applying for a math-oriented job, and are discussing your hobbies with your potential employer -- whether poker would be considered a net plus these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Tell them once you've got the job and they've already gotten to know you well. NEVER on a non-poker-related job interview.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:40 AM

You have any hiring manager friends in the Indianapolis area?

I'm currently your ideal candidate (substituting 1 year for 2 years..) and I wouldn't mind a real job if it was something I enjoyed, something that would challenge me and something that has "potential".

I currently support myself entirely with online poker and the incentive to get a real job is low. Honestly a self-employed solution (franchise owner, startup company, etc) seems alot more attractive to me now with regards to working conditions and earnings potential. I don't mind working hard, but it has to mean something to me. That said, I still would consider a regular job if something attractive presented itself. During my education I tended to skate by, acheiving pretty good grades with near zero effort in many areas - however any project or subject that truly interested me I always completed WAY above expectations.

I'm open to advice.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:17 PM

Trading success and poker success are correlated. I agree with what you are saying.

Regarding "entreprenuer" I have to say this is a very ripe area for discussion. The basic premise that a truly winning player a)disciplines his mind to b)outplay less-focused and less-disciplined opponents by c) mostly exploiting their mistakes is just one strong premise (of many) for a very convincing opposing argument that winning poker players can win big in entreprenuerial small business.

I'll get to this one shortly.

I like the contra-points raised by this reply post, since it raises a discussion about just how transferable winning poker skills actually are. And to "where" specifically.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Can you name these subjects?

"During my education I tended to skate by, acheiving pretty good grades with near zero effort in many areas - however any project or subject that truly interested me I always completed WAY above expectations."
Old 06-11-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trading success and poker success are correlated. I agree with what you are saying.

Regarding "entreprenuer" I have to say this is a very ripe area for discussion. The basic premise that a truly winning player a)disciplines his mind to b)outplay less-focused and less-disciplined opponents by c) mostly exploiting their mistakes is just one strong premise (of many) for a very convincing opposing argument that winning poker players can win big in entreprenuerial small business.

I'll get to this one shortly.

I like the contra-points raised by this reply post, since it raises a discussion about just how transferable winning poker skills actually are. And to "where" specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Dan.

Trading-Poker
Discipline-Discipline
Money Management-Money Management
Risk/Reward-Risk Reward
Edge-Pot odds
Timing Timing/-Seat placement

Loose Trades-Loose play
Bluffing-Bluffing
Emotions-Emotions/Tilt
Hedge-Partners
Patience-Patience
Tape Reading-Read the players
Conceal position-Conceal strength or weakness of hand

MOC Imbalance-Last player (button)
Size of Order-Size of Bet
Knowing “players”-Knowing Players
Old 06-11-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Smaller businesses die if they do not adapt. Adaptation means being quick to change your beliefs when they are no longer working. (poker teaches this.) Small business people are some of the most adaptive, open-minded people on earth for this reason. Always open. My advice is if you want a job, target firms under 150 people in size in a new and growing segment of the economy. Here you will find people who are open, and may actually understand poker better than average.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the greatest lesson I learned from playing poker.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Poker Players as Job Applicants *EDITED*

[ QUOTE ]
I like to use the term "metaskills" when talking about fields of expertise. Bankroll management and discipline are what I call metaskills of poker. E.g. not only beating other people out of their money. However it takes a fellow rat to acknowledge those skills.

If Al was to hire someone for a job he would also know what kind of person a ph.d. in psychology is and what metaskills are related to that education. Again - he would see through the university degree and know what other skills the applicant possesses.

So make sure your hiring manager has the same background as you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Another classic example is military. You not only learn exciting new ways to kill people but also widely respected metaskills like discipline blablabla related to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome... just awesome.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:04 PM

I love poker. I also agree that most people who win enough to support themselves exclusively via poker will have some desirable qualities in an employee: intelligence, adaptability, demonstrated ability to apply themselves to something and master it, willingness to take a risk and think outside the box.

But as someone who hires people to work on my team, under me, 2+ years as an online poker pro will not necessarily work in your favor when you apply for a job with me.

Here's what I think when I see this (and if you have NO work experience past college, multiply 1,2,& 3 by 5):

1)Has not had to get up early and be at work at a given time.
2)Has not learned to work in a team environment.
3)May have problems with authority.
4)Is there any chance of a gambling problem? We have a fiduciary responsibility in my industry and also have to be licensed by the state. My concern increases due to the fact that you are now looking for work; did you run down to zero?
5)In a month are they going to decide it's not worth it?

All that said, if I'm impressed with the person in the interview, and they are the right candidate, I'll hire them. But would I be more inclined to hire them than someone just out of college? Probably not.