Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 10:46 PM

Default SSH and protecting your hand

I have a question about protecting your hand...how do you protect your hand when you know the people to act behind you have no problem calling your raise? I know that when the pot is large and a lot of turn cards can mess up your hand you should wait till the turn to raise.

What I am finding is that when I try to protect my hand on the flop with a raise. The guy behind me calls the raise, which then gives the guy behind him better odds and the guy behind him and so on...Soon enough none, sometimes one person has folded.

Then the pot ios massive on the turn so there is absolutely no possible way to protect my hand. I know the guy behind me who makes a call against the odds technically makes me money, however, he pads the pot so that the people behind him CAN call profitably.

My other option again is to wait till the turn but then I am letting EVERYONE draw profitably. I doubt they know they're calling against the odds since I'm rebuilding at .05-.10 limit but if you know everyone or almost everyone will call your raise, how can you best protect your hand?

Also, I've seen people on here bragging about running at 15 BB/100 and other ridiculous numbers over a large amount of hands at this limit. Playing at Prima .05-.10 I don't see this as possible. I'm running at 5 BB/100 over 9000 hands and while I can possibly see someone running at 6-8 BB/100 I just don't see how the 14-18 BB/100 over 10000 hands is possible. Is it? [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: SSH and protecting your hand

I don't know about Prima, but at Pacific it definately was. You're right, it was virtually impossible to protect my hand, but they made so many horrible calls, that when I had monsters I got paid off huge.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:01 PM

Sometimes it's impossible to protect yr hand in limit hold em. Sometimes an inventive checkraise helps, but usually you just have to settle for a value bet.

I think Prima rakes their .05/.1 game. This makes a big difference. If I were you I would go to a site that does not rake those limits.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about protecting your hand...how do you protect your hand when you know the people to act behind you have no problem calling your raise? I know that when the pot is large and a lot of turn cards can mess up your hand you should wait till the turn to raise.

What I am finding is that when I try to protect my hand on the flop with a raise. The guy behind me calls the raise, which then gives the guy behind him better odds and the guy behind him and so on...Soon enough none, sometimes one person has folded.

Then the pot ios massive on the turn so there is absolutely no possible way to protect my hand. I know the guy behind me who makes a call against the odds technically makes me money, however, he pads the pot so that the people behind him CAN call profitably.

My other option again is to wait till the turn but then I am letting EVERYONE draw profitably. I doubt they know they're calling against the odds since I'm rebuilding at .05-.10 limit but if you know everyone or almost everyone will call your raise, how can you best protect your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Protecting your hand is more than just making everyone fold. Protecting your hand means putting villains in a spot where they either fold correctly (and you're happy) or call incorrectly (and you're happy). So you should be happy that everyone is calling your check-raise without proper odds (that is... if they actually had improper odds - The board texture and the action really help in determining this.)
Old 07-03-2005, 11:53 PM

I beleive the phenominon the OP is talking about is known as "schooling" ie all the little fishies schooling together to make subsequent bad calls a little less bad and so on.

All I can say is that you just have to remember you have a pot equity edge, and thats what makes you money. Basically, even though someone may get the correct odds to call their gutshot straight draw, theyre not taking away money from YOU when they hit, its mostly comming from the other players who are in the pot padding it. The same thing holds true for the value you get from winning the pot when your hand holds up.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:17 AM

about 6 months ago, I hit 10/100 over 10k hands at party's 0.5/1.

That was just crazy though... but it felt nice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've run bad too.